What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PG-7 thermobaric

alpvogt

Ordnance approved

Are these the remains of a thermobaric PG-7 ? First I was thinking it could be a Chinese Type 69 AP but if you compare both of them they are slightly different.
DSC00022.jpg

From front to back I see a PG series body (I'm unsure of the model at the moment), a PG tail boom, and the alignment ring from a recoilless rifle round, probably a BK881.

If you don't mind me asking where did you find that? Interesting piece, and not that common a find especially fired.

Joe

If you don't mind me asking where did you find that? Interesting piece, and not that common a find especially fired.

Joe

Joe

The picture was taken somewhere in Somalia, it has been taken by an EOD technician who is employed down there.

Sorry nothing the like. I just have seen images of one found in Sri Lanka - also a dud.

Hi EOD,

Where is the designation DZT02-40 coming from ? I found it nowere !

Yoda

Yoda, it is written right on the warhead section. I been searching it before and also did not succeed. The Chinese started in the last few (+- 10?) years to designate their ammunition (and equipment?) with latin letters.

In general China is developing and producing new types of ammunition on a daily basis. It is very difficult to keep track on all developments and types. Not to mention that there are literally no documets available. Most stuff becomes known only when it shows up in 3rd world countries after NGOs, the UN or coalition forces do the sweep up.

The Chinese started in the last few (+- 10?) years to designate their ammunition (and equipment?) with latin letters.

I would change that just a little, they seem to have started in about the mid 80s, and it appears that they started marking their export ammunition. Everything I have seen not intended for export is still marked only in Chinese characters. As far as I know the Gulf War was when we first started seeing Latin marked Chinese ordnance, and the Iraqis were building up since theior conflict with Iran in the 80s.

We see this on alot of ordnance ... home language markings for domestic use and English markings for exports. The Soviets, Chinese, Bulgaria, several counties do this.

Joe

Nice Chinese remains of a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) round. Is there any way to get the bits of those that are inert that you guys find in Africa? Do you find many whole but non working ones? And what about the plastic transport tubes for the Chinese rockets, or the plastic tubes for the booster charges? They must be discarded all over the place like soda cans.