What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo of 152mm XM-657 E2 HE-T?

U

US Military Guy

I have the above projectile and my intent is to make a case for it. I have found numerous "drawings" of it, but am looking for a photograph - or better yet - a scale drawing that I can use to manufacture a case.

I found some photos, so I have another project to complete - sometime.
Thanks.

I've only seen one or two of the cases in over 30 years, and they were destroyed. The 152mm used a consumable case, so there was no way to really save one unless your area allowed energetics - for the same reason there are not many detailed photos - or at least none that I have. Most of the TMs I've got give very little info, especially on the case. Sorry - Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgDSCN4845.jpg

So here are a couple of examples of 152mm Dummy/Training rounds with different designs of dummy training simulated combustible cases. The blue sectioned projectile is actually a practice projectile to simulate the black HEAT projectile. The blue projectile is sectioned to show the internal hidden PD fuze and TNT spotter charge. This is the XM411E2 projectile. Only the E2 model had the internal High Explosive spotter charge. The danger with this, is that it looks exactly like the other M411 practice projectiles. The only way to tell the difference is to X-ray it, or read the stamping on the side of the projectile. This is one example of a blue painted practice round with a high explosive payload.

This particular training aid is built with a dummy cartridge case made from wood and filled with inert simulated powder grains. The cartridge cases on 152mm Gun ammo were combustible, leaving only the attachment metal nut on the back of the projectile that held the case in place.

The second round shows the method that the normal combustible case used for attachment. The cartridge case shoulder was attached to the base of the projectile with a nut. This same nut is used on the sectioned round, but it is attached to the wood with screws. In a real service round, the nut would pinch the case to the projo base as can be seen with the cardboard shoulder held in place. The case shoulder is then glued to the rest of the case, which is filled with a powder bag full of propellant. In this case, a cardboard container filled with a powder bag filled with simulated propellant. The complete round shows the projectile with attached case shoulder resting on top of the rest of the cardboard case. The shoulder never was glued to the rest of the case.

If I were going to make a dummy case, I think a good laminated wood cylinder cut to the proper profile would work, with an attached nut at the top to screw onto the projectile boss.

Attachments

• 152mm XM411E2.jpg
    152mm XM411E2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Spotting Charge.jpg
    Spotting Charge.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Sectioned Dummy Case.jpg
    Sectioned Dummy Case.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Connection Detail.jpg
    Connection Detail.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Connection Detail 2.jpg
    Connection Detail 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Case Profile.jpg
    Case Profile.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 64
  • Case Rim.jpg
    Case Rim.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 52
  • Case top Detail 2.jpg
    Case top Detail 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Case Top Detail.jpg
    Case Top Detail.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Locknut.jpg
    Locknut.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Projectile Base.jpg
    Projectile Base.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 152mm XM409E2.jpg
    152mm XM409E2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 71
  • Service round attachment.jpg
    Service round attachment.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Service round attachment 2.jpg
    Service round attachment 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 68
  • Case with powder bag.jpg
    Case with powder bag.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Cardboard case profile.jpg
    Cardboard case profile.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Case base.jpg
    Case base.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
So here are a couple of examples of 152mm Dummy/Training rounds with different designs of dummy training simulated combustible cases. The blue sectioned projectile is actually a practice projectile to simulate the black HEAT projectile. The blue projectile is sectioned to show the internal hidden PD fuze and TNT spotter charge. This is the XM411E2 projectile. Only the E2 model had the internal High Explosive spotter charge. The danger with this, is that it looks exactly like the other M411 practice projectiles. The only way to tell the difference is to X-ray it, or read the stamping on the side of the projectile. This is one example of a blue painted practice round with a high explosive payload.

This particular training aid is built with a dummy cartridge case made from wood and filled with inert simulated powder grains. The cartridge cases on 152mm Gun ammo were combustible, leaving only the attachment metal nut on the back of the projectile that held the case in place.

The second round shows the method that the normal combustible case used for attachment. The cartridge case shoulder was attached to the base of the projectile with a nut. This same nut is used on the sectioned round, but it is attached to the wood with screws. In a real service round, the nut would pinch the case to the projo base as can be seen with the cardboard shoulder held in place. The case shoulder is then glued to the rest of the case, which is filled with a powder bag full of propellant. In this case, a cardboard container filled with a powder bag filled with simulated propellant. The complete round shows the projectile with attached case shoulder resting on top of the rest of the cardboard case. The shoulder never was glued to the rest of the case.

If I were going to make a dummy case, I think a good laminated wood cylinder cut to the proper profile would work, with an attached nut at the top too screw onto the projectile boss.

Those are some excellant photos and just the information I was seeking.
I have read descriptions about case attachment, etc, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

It appears the case sides have a taper, as shown in photos #1, #2, & #16. It is almost as if the "shoulder" at the top of the case and the rim at the bottom have the same outside diameter. The inside of the rim to the "shoulder" create the taper. Is this correct? If so, no wonder I could not quite get my head wrapped around how the thing was supposed to look.

Wonderful photo of the ring/nut screwed to the wood case in photo #4. That ring should be quite a challenge on my metal lathe.

With reference to the comment about making the case from a laminated wood cylinder, yes, been there done that - on an M865 TPCSDS-T 120mm Cartridge. There is another thread on another forum that shows this. Anybody want a link (can I do that here)? I used pine on my 120mm case. It looks like photo #15 shows maple. I will have to see what is in the lumber rack.

Please understand I am not trying to make a case with measurements accurate enough to fit into a chamber. I should be able to get measurements from the photos. In this particular "case" (pun intended), close enough will be good enough. I have a projectile. I don't have a case for obvious reasons. I wanted to make something that would show the overall size of the round for static displays that I do from time-to-time. On the other thread I mentioned, we even talked about painting the case or leaving it natural wood. The consensus was to leave it bare wood to mimic the oak training rounds from WWII. In reprospect, perhaps I should have made the case from oak instead of pine. I might do that with this one.

Thanks for your help, gentlemen. I will post photos, when done, but be forewarned that might not be soon. It seems retired life is much busier than "working" life.

I can tell you from having fired a few if these in my war days many decades ago, the propellant case breaks a lot easier then most think. There would be times when we had pounds and pounds of propellant on the floor of our Sheridan, then the propellant case could get wet and just ripe a part. Great round when if fired right, especially the canister - but the propellant case was crab

"It appears the case sides have a taper, as shown in photos #1, #2, & #16. It is almost as if the "shoulder" at the top of the case and the rim at the bottom have the same outside diameter. The inside of the rim to the "shoulder" create the taper. Is this correct? If so, no wonder I could not quite get my head wrapped around how the thing was supposed to look."

Can anyone confirm my observation about the taper on the case?

I would like to start the drawings/plans.

Thanks.

You are correct, there is a taper on the case. The case is wide just below the base of the projectile, then it tapers, getting smaller in diameter down to the rim.

Excellent! Thank you!
No wonder it is so hard to get my head wrapped around that oddity. I have never seen anything quite like that.

Well, since there isn't a case to seal off the gas, it doesn't matter what the shape is.

Well, since there isn't a case to seal off the gas, it doesn't matter what the shape is.

OK, can we talk about that for a bit?

The 120mm has a case base. Mostly, I suspect to make it easier to handle without damage (reference weberoed's post above). Perhaps we learned something from/between the 152mm and the 120mm?

Anyway, do these two cartridges "seal" with just the breech block, in that, as you noted, there is not a case as in the traditional cartridge? I expect it would be like the seperate loading howitzers? I was a mechanic on them MANY, MANY years ago and forgot much of what I learned - something about interrupted step threads and some type of seal (obtosomethingorother). In other words what is now a loose "powder bag" used to be an attached "cardboard cylinder"? Furthermore wouldn't the smaller taper at the bottom of the cartridge make the "cardboard cylinder" less likely to be damaged, as it is placed in the chamber? Just guessing here. I don't shoot the darn things. I just collect them. Trying to understand.

Since I wasn't at the design meeting for the 152mm Gun/Launcher, I can only speculate regarding the following: The 152mm Gun is also used to fire the Shillelagh missile. It is a much lower pressure and lower velocity gun than the 120mm Rheinmetall smoothbore gun used on many modern tanks. The 152mm gun penetrates armor with chemical energy (HEAT Shaped Charge) by the HEAT round that US-Subs and I have shown or by the missile. The 152mm gun rounds are relatively low velocity (2240 feet per second) and the gun is rifled. The 120mm DU dart travels at al least 5500 feet per second with a chamber pressure of 96,000 psi, and the classified speed is most likely 6,000 fps+, close to 3 times the velocity of the 152mm. The Russians also use a case stub on their 125mm tank gun like the 120mm Rheinmetall. It provides a much more reliable seal for the super high pressures, adds structure to the round, provides a reliable support for the primer used to generate those super high pressures, provides a steel rim for reliable extraction of the round, and seals the breach. Main Battle Tanks need the highest reliability, and the fastest munitions and targeting systems to be the first on target in a tank duel. I doubt if a tank gun design Engineer would ever tell you his ammunition was fast enough. Velocity is king, and pressure is required to obtain velocity. The fastest non-tank gun used in Vietnam was the 175mm Gun using powder bags, firing at a velocity of 3,000 fps at a chamber pressure of 45,700 psi, half the velocity and pressure of the 120mm. It was notorious for burning out barrels. An 8 inch howitzer using powder bags has a velocity of 1950 fps at a chamber pressure of 31,900 psi, 1/3 that of the 120mm.

Many bag guns seal the breech with a variation of the DeBange Obturator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_mechanism

Yes, there is an interrupted thread mechanism, but that is to hold the metal parts together and provide fast loading. My guess, is that the DeBange Obturator most likely isn't efficient for 96,000 psi. It was invented before WWI.

The 152mm gun was never designed to be a main gun for a primary main battle tank for an all out tank battle or duel. It was installed in the all aluminum Sheridan fighting vehicle, that has been used by Delta Force because it can be transported by air, and by a low production version of the M60 tank. The ammo was a nightmare in Vietnam, as was stated earlier, the combustible cases broke, and they were highly effected by the moisture. The rounds were issued in Neoprene bags to stay somewhat waterproof.

Attachments

• ds1002a.jpg
    ds1002a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 09Shillelagh152mmMissile.jpg
    09Shillelagh152mmMissile.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 50
  • shillelagh.jpg
    shillelagh.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 50
  • missile firing.jpg
    missile firing.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DeBange Obturator 1.jpg
    DeBange Obturator 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DeBange Obturator 2.jpg
    DeBange Obturator 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 41
  • PAGE_58_Figure_5B13_B.jpg
    PAGE_58_Figure_5B13_B.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Obturator - That was the word I was looking for. I remember we disassembled one at Aberdeen, but I never had the opportunity to handle one after that. Thank you.

Excellent information. Now all I need to do is draw a picture, glue some wood (most likely oak, due to the size of the case and weight of the projectile), and fire up the lathe.

I found a 152mm HE projectile, so I gave making a display case out of wood a shot. I am not normally into making stuff out of wood, and I used my metal lathe and tools. I could only find a treated pine 8 inch post large enough for raw material.

Attachments

• 152 HE.jpg
    152 HE.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 69