What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography anyone?

RichardB

Premium Member
While not a photography forum, now and again some of the technical aspects of photos posted, are superb and to me, demonstrate another hobby. Another hobby of mine is photography, specifically Aviation (eg Duxford, RIAT, and EAA etc) Motorsport (Goodwood etc) and also, macro photography (weird shit, sometimes 500 photos to produce a single image)

Like militaria, photography interests vary, So as a one off (I won't bore you) Heres a close image (single shot) I took up of something we've all probably ignored if not swatted during the summer months.

image.jpg

Rich

Last edited:
Outstanding image!

My first job was as an apprentice photographer at a record company studio. Which was interesting. I'm still at it but now tend to do landscapes. This one taken last year when I was exploring the WW1 battlefields in the Italian Dolomites.

Panorama_BW.jpg

John

Lovely foreboding B&W image John....Landscapes is one area I've not even attempted.
I've not been the to Normandy beaches (or Cemeteries) but intend to, so no doubt ill ill do a few there...

Same Here, Bought my first camera with my first paycheck in 1983. A cannon T50 35mm. Love airshows also. Upgraded to Cannon Digital 35mm Sxi in 2008. IMG_1740.jpgIMG_1760.jpg053.jpgIMG_3676.jpg

Lovely aviation eye candy. Mossies, and 262's are some of my favourite aircraft. I assume the 262 is one of the Texas built ones? I went to the Dulles Museum in Washington a couple of years ago - stunning place. Better than the Air and Space Museum IMHO.

An image.

DSC_4010small.jpg

John

That fly shot is stunning Rich. Are those the kinds of house flies you have in the UK? It's almost alien to see one so light gray. Our flies in the US are black.

I went to the Dulles Museum in Washington a couple of years ago - stunning place. Better than the Air and Space Museum IMHO.

John

Actually, it is part of it. The Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles was built to expand and move much of the A&S to a larger facility. They also moved much of the storage and the renovation facility there. What is generally unexpected is just how much air ordnance they have in storage - some really choice pieces.

Actually, it is part of it. The Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles was built to expand and move much of the A&S to a larger facility. They also moved much of the storage and the renovation facility there. What is generally unexpected is just how much air ordnance they have in storage - some really choice pieces.

Yes I know that. As a life long aviation enthusiast and pilot I'd watched news leak out of the Silver Hill Facility for years. I almost thought I would never get to see their superb reserve collection of WW2 German and Japanese aircraft - the finest around. So getting to see things like the Dornier 335, the German jets etc was quite amazing. Also seeing things like Ford build V1's and the Space Shuttle Discovery warmed the heart.

It rounded off a long holiday to the US in the very best possible way. I think I took 500 photos in a few hours there.

John

Last edited:
I also like detail shots - this from the Lincoln museum (who have a nice WW1 tank).

Cogs 1small.jpg

John

Yes the 262 is one of the Texas built planes. The Mossie is from Military Aviation Museum and the 109E was from Ed Russell's Collection which is now on your side of the pond. The 262 and Mossie were at the Hamilton Air show in Canada and the 109E was at Geneseo New York airshow. I have hundreds of photos of the airshows I've been to.

In a previous "single life" many decades ago now...............

(My apologies for the disgraceful quality as these are scans of photos from original slides (Etachrome))

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• clownfish.jpg
    clownfish.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 30
  • flatworm.jpg
    flatworm.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 28
  • nudi.jpg
    nudi.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 30
  • shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 33
Rich that's amazing, what type of camera do you use to take such as photo? Is it one of the specific macro cameras?

Dave.

Great photo Rich, was that taken with just a standard macro lens? Or did you use extension tubes with a macro lens? I'm interested in macro photography also (although could do with a bit more practice). I haven't ventured into focus stacking yet but will give it a go at some point.

Attachments

• File 07-04-2016, 19 37 46.jpg
    File 07-04-2016, 19 37 46.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 30
  • File 07-04-2016, 19 36 26.jpg
    File 07-04-2016, 19 36 26.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 30
  • File 07-04-2016, 19 35 00.jpg
    File 07-04-2016, 19 35 00.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 29
  • File 07-04-2016, 19 34 31.jpg
    File 07-04-2016, 19 34 31.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 30
Great photo Rich, was that taken with just a standard macro lens? Or did you use extension tubes with a macro lens? I'm interested in macro photography also (although could do with a bit more practice). I haven't ventured into focus stacking yet but will give it a go at some point.
Those are some awesome pictures.

Fantastic Photos, Marek, John, Drew, Darren....keep them coming, and chuffed this thread hit a cord with some people :)
Changed my mind, ill bore you some more, here are two more of mine, plus a link to my flickr acct --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/122625131@N02/

IMG_8483-M2-1024.jpg
Tiger and Sherman-M1-1024.jpg

I hope you like these, they're more in tune with the forum than my flies !.
Rich

ps sorry they're not everyone's cup of tea....some people fall asleep at the thought of it.
SSsleeping.jpg

Last edited: