What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Physical And Illustrated Cutaways......

Darren

Aside from collecting ordnance my other interest is anything and everything that has been sectioned/cutaway (engines, cars, guns, scale models etc). I have recently decided to create a small forum on the subject.

The forum can be found at:

http://www.cutawaycreation.com

Not much content there at present, a few bits from my own collection. Please feel free to have a look if you also have an interest in physical or illustrated cutaways in general.

Thanks,
Darren

Hi Darren,
Nice work on the site it looks good, i will have a proper browse later on.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Darren,
Nice work on the site it looks good, i will have a proper browse later on.
Best regards Weasel.

Thanks Weasel,

It's not much at the moment but hopefully in time there will be many more categories with lots of interesting stuff to see. Always fascinating to see how things are made and how they work etc.

Darren

just browsing through, very cool stuff. one question, i tried to section an old camera lens and it was disastrous as i couldnt cut the glass nicely, have you got any tips?

just browsing through, very cool stuff. one question, i tried to section an old camera lens and it was disastrous as i couldnt cut the glass nicely, have you got any tips?

To cut a camera lens is a tricky one, the metal casing is so thin and fragile that a milling machine or similar would just chew it up.

A hacksaw or bandsaw is ideal for the casing, as for the glass I'm not sure what to suggest for cutting at home. The glass is thick. I should imagine that the factory cut lenses are done with laser or waterjet cutting machines.

I plan on cutting a gun sight/scope sometime soon, I think best to cut the casing and leave the glass intact. Perhaps would be an idea to do the same with a lens.

Darren

Hi Darren,A very interesting site,It is so interesting to see what is behind the outer skin of many things,I may have some cutaway illustrations that may be of use to you,I think they are modern bypass aircraft engines,aircraft,(civil)plus some ww2 aircraft illustrations,a good scource of cutaway illustrations from years ago is the publication called "Speed and Power"which was later renamed "Look and Learn"(or vice versa,my son has hundreds of copies in the loft,I will see what he intends to do with them,
Regards,Don,

Hi Darren,A very interesting site,It is so interesting to see what is behind the outer skin of many things,I may have some cutaway illustrations that may be of use to you,I think they are modern bypass aircraft engines,aircraft,(civil)plus some ww2 aircraft illustrations,a good scource of cutaway illustrations from years ago is the publication called "Speed and Power"which was later renamed "Look and Learn"(or vice versa,my son has hundreds of copies in the loft,I will see what he intends to do with them,
Regards,Don,

Hi Don,
I have not come across those before (speed and power) sounds interesting. I'd be interested in seeing the illustrations that you may have of the aircraft engines.

Darren

Hi Darren,Speed and Power/look and learn,were informative 1970s comics(for want of a better description,)there were like the Eagle comic cutaways in the middle pages,from boats to aircraft cars trains etc,I have some "Aeroplane"from the late 40s which also contain some very interesting cutaways,at the time (mid 70s)I was heavily involved with recovering crashed ww2 aircraft so any "inside information"so to speak was well worth the getting,could you send me a pm and in the meantime I will see what I have left,
Regards,Don,

To cut a camera lens is a tricky one, the metal casing is so thin and fragile that a milling machine or similar would just chew it up.

A hacksaw or bandsaw is ideal for the casing, as for the glass I'm not sure what to suggest for cutting at home. The glass is thick. I should imagine that the factory cut lenses are done with laser or waterjet cutting machines.

I plan on cutting a gun sight/scope sometime soon, I think best to cut the casing and leave the glass intact. Perhaps would be an idea to do the same with a lens.

Darren

not a bad idea, i might try again and do that, cheers