What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT Bomb cutaway... need help!

turpin42

Hi all
One of the PIAT bombs is in for the chop at the weekend.
Can anyone who has experience with this type of cutaway give me some advice. Should i cut it directly in two or with this kind of ordnance, cut out a quarter of it?
The cut in half i think might be easier to do but will it look right?
I've never seen a cutaway PIAT round, how would they have done it during the war for teaching purposes?
What do you guys think?

All the best

T42

I've never done one but trying to think back to one that I have seen. Can't remember where so can't include a picture. I think the head had an oval cut into it, and the tail bit had a line cut into it instead of the whole length being cut. I imagine this was to preserve the shape better?

Piat help

Hei Pointblank
Never thought of just cutting out sections, might be nice if i got it right...
Thanks for that!

T42

PIAT Bomb cutaway... need help!
Hi all
One of the PIAT bombs is in for the chop at the weekend.
Can anyone who has experience with this type of cutaway give me some advice. Should i cut it directly in two or with this kind of ordnance, cut out a quarter of it?
The cut in half i think might be easier to do but will it look right?
I've never seen a cutaway PIAT round, how would they have done it during the war for teaching purposes?
What do you guys think?

All the best

T42

Hi,

First of all as Glevum said make sure that everything is 100% safe, never cut anything that you haven't studied thoroughly before.

Looking at the Piat bomb, I would say a cut just short of quater may give good results. (I'm no expert, the person you need to talk to is pzgr40 (DJH) he has lots of experience in cut-aways. )
Do some sketches first on a bit of paper, from different angles if you can to give you an idea of what the end result may be like. Look at things like markings and fuzing etc. Sometimes these dictate a cut, as it can look better from one angle or another. Try to preserve markings wherever possible.
If you cut on the inside line between the tail fins, at a similar angle, you would preserve all four fins. If you can get a drawing from different angles you could draw a line and see how it runs throughout the rest of the item. It may work, it may not. Half cuts may sound easier but less than half will keep the threads usable, and so things like fuzes, gaines etc can be re threaded, either cut or not. At the end of the day, I think you have to ask yourself what you are wanting to achieve.

Never rush into anything. Get it clear in your mind first before you attempt anything.

I will say something though ....once you have done one, you had better lock away the rest of your items as you might not be able to stop!!

good luck
regards
Kev

Piat help

Thanks guys.
Don't worry glevum, it's 100% safe.
No lauching cartridge up the tail. Body is empty.
Thanks Kev. Good sound advice. I've been planning of doing this one for ages. Think you are right about the quarter cut. If i cut it in half it will be also difficult to display (won't stand up by itself as i found with the no.69 grenade)

Many thanks again all!

T42

Hi Turpin, sorry for he late reply,must have overlooked the subject. Always try to make a 1/4 or 1/3 cutaway model, half looks like something went wrong. To be able to set the cuttinglines is straight simple: take a piece of paper, draw a circle on it with the outside dia of the piat body and devide the circle in four pieces (90 degr) either when you want to take out 1/3 (120 degr) Place the piat body (remove nose and threaded ring) upside down centered in the circle and voila, you have the starting points of your cutting lines. Use a capenters hook placed on the paper to set the perpendicular lines on the body and tail.
Do not use a normal hacksaw, but use a fine toothed baby hacksaw either a jigsaw for metal.
Regards, DJH

T42,

Attached are some photos of my sectioned PIAT. I've hadit for a long time, and most likely it was a WWII training aid, sectioned on your side of the pond.

It is 1/4 sectioned, except the ring on the tail, the very tip, and the threaded shoulder piece. I have removed the shoulder piece and tip so you can see those details. Also attached is a drawing that was posted by a BOCN member in the past.

From the drawing, the parts not cut are the thimble, union ring, tail washer, the felt washer, and material on forebody, behind the felt washer to support the felt washer. The cordex that carries the fire from the fuze in the nose to the base detonator is also uncut.

To recap what others have said, make sure there is no energetic material or cartridge in the tail tube or body, and measure a lot of times and go slow before you cut only once. If you look closely at the quarter left and quarter right photos, the cut doesn't match up too well between the forebody and the hindbody/cone assembly.

John

Attachments

• Projector Infantry Anti Tank.jpg
    Projector Infantry Anti Tank.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Quarter straight.jpg
    Quarter straight.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 112
  • charge left.jpg
    charge left.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 84
  • charge right.jpg
    charge right.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Closeup charge.jpg
    Closeup charge.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Closeup Tip.jpg
    Closeup Tip.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 84
  • ExCloseup charge.jpg
    ExCloseup charge.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
PIAT cutaway help

Thank you both Pzgr40 and Hazord.
Great advice and great pictures Hazord!
It's decided then, 1/4 section.
It's been really busy at work lately and we are going to the cabin over easter holidays so i guess i won't get much done before the early april.
I'll post some pics as to how it goes.

Many thanks again

T42