What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT Cartridge

proditto

A PIAT propellant cartridge. Not normally seen as it is up the tube! This is loaded by the factory and not normally removable.

Attachments

• PIAT Cart 1.jpg
    PIAT Cart 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 118
  • PIAT Cart 2.jpg
    PIAT Cart 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 106
  • PIAT Cart 3.jpg
    PIAT Cart 3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 101
Piat

I believe it was supplied as a reloadable store for the practice bomb, as that was reusable.

Regards
TonyE

Hi proditto
That's a cracker!
Never seen one with stenciling before. Thanks for posting.

Mvh
T42

To whom it may concern,
most of the PIAT rounds I have seen in the last years, were drilled inside the warhead towards the shaft assembly, so that a punch tool can fit through it and forces the cartridge out of the lower end of the shaft tube.
I have also seen a lot of them not drilled and I don't want to know what happens if the round is jammed against the striker assembly of the weapon!
Just to think about it!
Mrfuze, USA

ringer

Beautiful piece, definately a valuable addition to ones collection. It's like it has a sign on it that reads "collect me". Intereting to say the least. Great find and good collecting....Dano

To whom it may concern,
most of the PIAT rounds I have seen in the last years, were drilled inside the warhead towards the shaft assembly, so that a punch tool can fit through it and forces the cartridge out of the lower end of the shaft tube.
I have also seen a lot of them not drilled and I don't want to know what happens if the round is jammed against the striker assembly of the weapon!
Just to think about it!
Mrfuze, USA

I remember a story about an american collector who purchased a mint "deact" piat round, only to find out the hard way that the cartridge had not been drilled as it went a lot further than anticipated when he fired it and it impacted on a hard surface.
Hangarman

Inert PIAT round?

I have also seen one or two 'inert' rounds that have a live cartridge up the tube. The trouble seems to be that people think of the PIAT as some form of grenade/bomb that has external propulsion and the cartridge is very difficult to see (far less photo) up the tube.
A mistake drilling or pushing could be very bad news so don't try it. Leave to the professionals.
Thanks Turpin and Dano the condition makes it extra nice, maybe as Tony E suggests this was a reload. Can any one come up with other grenades/bombs for infantry weapons that have a propulsive cartridge in them as issued?

Minenwerfer

The WWI German small minenwerfer had a 7.92mm propulsive cartridge "built in" at the top of the tail that is often overlooked.

That was the cause of the dreadful accident at the Pattern Room several years ago.

Regards
TonyE

Acident

TonyE thanks, any one lucky enough to have one, check.

The Pattern Room accident also shows that an item presumed over a long period to be 'inert' may not be. It had been dropped etc without incident until the day. Better get expert advice and check and check again.

Roller any confirmation? It could save a problem for someone.

Sandy

OK, now I'm curious. I have never heard about the Pattern Room incindent before although I can just about guess what probably happened. Could someone please re-tell the story?

Several rounds for the Granatenwerfer 16 have been observed over the years here in the U.S. that still had live cartridges in the tubes. Always worth a check with a good flashlight before displaying one on the launcher.

29mm spigot mortar

I think some of the 29mm Spigot Mortar bombs were issued with carts in place ?

Rounds used for practice were supplied with a box of spare cartridges. Practice cartridges had a black band around the middle.
The cartridges are easier to get out of the spigot mortar rounds as the tail unscrews and the used cartridges can be pushed out with a wooden dowel. The fins could also be replaced by removing a circlip and sliding the damaged fins off.

Hangarman