What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT mkI round?

turpin42

Hi
I'm repainting one of the PIAT rounds i have and need help with the ID and the markings.
The one i'm repainting is on the left. The one on the right is an untouched original (and will remain so!).
Is the one on the left a mkI? The fuze retainer is the thimble type and the flange is without the three extentions on the cup.
pkm594 had a posting a couple of days ago with some great info, but does anyone have a good pic of an original MkI round?
Would like to see what green colour was on the band and what the stenciling on the rest of the body looked like.
Thanks for any help.
All the best
T42

Attachments

• 25062009388.jpg
    25062009388.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 155
Here is a drawing of the MK I

Attachments

• Projector Infantry Anti Tank 1.jpg
    Projector Infantry Anti Tank 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 168
PIAT mkI

Thanks Madbomber31!
Great drawing but that's the MkIa.
The one i'm repainting doesn't have these three flanges that join to the cup. I'm really unsure about if this is the difference between mkI and the MkIa.
Didn't notice until i had cleaned it up and painted it service brown.
Thanks again.

All the best
T42

PIAT MkI pics...anybody?

Hi
Does anyone have pictures of a Mk I PIAT round or knows what colour the green band was?
Still would like to know if the one on the left is a Mk I.
Any help appreciated.

All the best
T42

Hi, the green band on the body of the piat bomb is a marking x the explosive, in this case, Nobel 808 (only 808 on green band), inside, after abandoned x the TNT or TNT/RDX mixture(TNT on blue band). If i have in my database, one picture or original images, i posted...
sorry x my english, best regards

another x you...look the post of PKM594 in 22 Jun 2009, on PIAT request...in the best x you.

p.i.at. bomb.

Hi, the one you have is a Mk.1 - to drawing; D.D.(L) 14869/I This takes fuze No. 425. The complete weight of bomb is 3.0 pounds. Ron

Ref. Your marking of p.i.a.t. Mk.1 bomb.

P.I.A.T. MK.1 BOMB -808 FILLED EXPLOSIVE; FOR FUSE NO.425, DETONATORS NO.66 WITH CORDTEX IN CENTRAL TUBE, AND EXPLODER 1 OZ. C.E. PELLET IN CONTAINER. METHOD OF FILLING DESIGN D.D./L/14869. THE BOMB MAY BE PAINTED EITHER SERVICE GREEN OR BROWN. A 1/4 INCH FROM THE UNDERSIDE OF THE UNION IS A GREEN BAND 3/4 INCH WIDE. IF THE BOMB IS PAINTED SERVICE GREEN, THE GREEN BAND WILL BE EDGED WITH A YELLOW BAND 1/8 INCH WIDE ON EITHER SIDE. STENCILLED IN WHITE ON THE BAND IS THE NUMBER 808. IMMEDIATELY BELOW THE BAND IS STENCILLED THE MONOGRAM OF FIRM OR STATION FILLING. ON THR REVERSE IS STENCILLED FILLED LOT NUMBER AND DATE OF FILLING. THE MARK IS STENCILLED MIDWAY BETWEEN THE BODY AND THE TAIL ON THE TAIL TUBE. TRUST THIS IS SOME HELP. Regards, Ron. This information is taken from: C.I.A. (6) dated 1943.

Last edited:
Many Thanks!

Thanks for the postings Poltewerke and Wyngo.
Really helpful. Also a huge thanks to Ed Strazdes for the pictures.
Well here's the repaint and a picture of the PIAT collection so far...
All the very best

T42

Attachments

• 29072009483.jpg
    29072009483.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 29072009489.jpg
    29072009489.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 29072009481.jpg
    29072009481.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 167
Markings on box

Hi Missingsomething
No problem, i'll post them tonight.
Feel dead lucky to have gotten a hold of it.
All the best
T42

Hi T42,

Can I ask where you got the right paint from?

Is it a spray or a gloss etc?

Cheers mate

Have got an original round and some reporoduction ones that need some work,

Was the box in the same service brown colour? My B166 is green inside?

My failures are always the final paint jobs, I always struggle with correct textures/colour.

Cheers

Piat colour

Hi Mongo
Had my local car paint company to make up some service brown to original British Standard colours. They had it on file and was no problem to get it in spray cans. Got them to make it up in matt. Yes the box is the same Service brown colour. Build it up with thin coats and don't rush it. Always leave it alone afterwards and let it harden before handling or starting on the markings.

Good luck

All the very best
T42

Thanks Madbomber31!
Great drawing but that's the MkIa.
The one i'm repainting doesn't have these three flanges that join to the cup. I'm really unsure about if this is the difference between mkI and the MkIa.
Didn't notice until i had cleaned it up and painted it service brown.
Thanks again.

All the best
T42

Hi Turpin42. I have been scrutinising the drawing posted by MADBOMBER31 for a project of mine and and believe your answer lies therein. Note the text on right margin - "'A' ADDED WHEN REINFORCED CENTRAL TUBE IS FITTED" with arrow to MK1A marking on tube.