What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics Beehive Shaped Charge WW2?

Kilroy was Here

Here is some pics of what I believe is a WW2 British beehive charge or mine. It was offered to me a few months back. It's is a little out of my collecting field, and also thought it was a bit expensive, so did not buy it. Although it could be a fairly scarce item, not sure.

I kind of like it, now that I look at it again.

From what I could find out it, I think it was mainly used for breaching of buildings or walls or fortified structures.

Anyone have more info on these?

Attachments

• shapecharge2.jpg
    shapecharge2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 106
  • shapecharge3.jpg
    shapecharge3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 95
  • shapecharge5.jpg
    shapecharge5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 85
  • shapecharge6.jpg
    shapecharge6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 82
  • shapecharge1.jpg
    shapecharge1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 75
Conical shaped charges are used primarily to bore holes in earth, masonry, concrete and in roads. Often these holes are used as access points for other demolition charges so that the target may be destroyed using less explosives, since the destruction charge is placed internally rather than externally. In the case of roads, the use of shape charges can be the first step of cratering.

This does appear to be a Charge Demolition 6 inch Beehive. Unfortunately, I do not have any specific technical information with me right now, other than this drawing.

Attachments

• chrg-dem-6in-beehive.jpg
    chrg-dem-6in-beehive.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 55
We are still using WWII stocks in Afghanistan. Seen plenty of used boxes coming back still with pristine date marks and Government Explosive Labels painted on them.

It is a cratering charge as mentioned above, however,the term 'beehive' usually refers to fleshette rounds.
Regards,
John

Couldn't it be used for instant foxhole too in hard ground? I have heard this before about using small shaped charges during WWII and especially in Korea?

V40
Mark

Foxholes

I have a report on the German forces in Russia during the first winter and the Russian counteroffensive. The Germans were out in the open, covering large areas with no protection from the weather. The German engineers used large cratering charges to "dig" holes in the frozen ground, coverd the holes with loge and earth and created "instant" bunkers.

Looks like the old M3 40 pound cratering charge

Attachments

• chargecols1.jpg
    chargecols1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 53
  • chargekistopencols1.jpg
    chargekistopencols1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 50
  • chargekistcols1.jpg
    chargekistcols1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Can also be used shape charge bombs at around 5-6 feet down. It was not really used as a foxhole digger as it was in the hands of the engineers and not the front line infantryman. It doesn't appear to be the U.s. M3A1 as the top is different but similar to our 40 lb cratering charge.
John​

Last edited by a moderator:
MD1 Beehive

Here is some pics of what I believe is a WW2 British beehive charge or m[...]
Anyone have more info on these?

The Beehive was a product of 'Winston Churchill's Toyshop' (MD1) devised by Jefferis essentially for the engineer tasks described by others and the instruction leaflet also includes advice about using it inverted beneath the surface as an anti-armour mine. It was designed at Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire in October 1941 and went into production shortly afterwards.

With regard to using small shaped charges to help with digging trenches, yes the UK had the `Kit Explosive Trench Digging Aid'. I never saw one but from what I remember hearing of it, it was perhaps three small shaped charges explosively linked with two or three feet of det cord between each charge. There were also three corresponding charges that were designed to be lowered into the holes created by the shaped charges and linked by det cord, to crater the ground to the width of a trench.

Last edited:
This is an M 3 Shape Charge,not a Cratering Charge.A Cratering (40 Lb. Ammoniun Nitrate or later 43 Lb. Nitromon) was in a metal Cylinder with Booster in the center.You first fired the Shape Charge to blow a large dia. hole in the ground,then lowered your cratering charge into the "Blown Hole" then moved to a safe distance and detonated your Cratering Charge.During my Military Carer (1954-1981),I've either fired or been around several hundered of these when fired,and one ocasion,I saw a 3 Ft. in dia piece of clay blown a good 150 meters from the blast site.Any time we fired these in training,we were in a Concrete bunker.
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM.USA.Ret

Forgot to add this in my previous post We did test a small Shape Charge and Cratering Charhe designed to "blow Foxholes",but it was a "Hit and Miss" thing,as in some soils it worked to profection and in other types of soil,it's performance (Korea)left a lot to be desired.Viet Nam was so/so in th Centeral High lands.
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM.USA.Ret.

Nice, Thanks, very interesting info from everyone on these "beehives"

So it is British for sure then?
Does it look WWII vintage?
Maybe this one a product of 'Winston Churchill's Toyshop'.......MD1? :D
If it's a WW2 era Beehive, is it a scarce item?

It's an interesting piece of Ord, and I kind of like it after looking at it again. It's really not too big for display. Maybe I should I have bought it, it was about $275, but I didn't know if this was fair priced or not.
I only would want it for my collection if it's a WW2 era Beehive.

I think the fellow selling it said it was found somewhere in Europe if I remember correctly. It definitely looks like it's a relic battlefield found item.

I researched it a little when it was offered to me, and read somewhere that there were different ways the legs were attached, and you could tell which model, or the age from this feature maybe. The legs on this one they look like there just welded on.

Using these inverted for anti-tank mine would be very effective!! These would also definitely save time and energy digging bunkers & foxholes!!

I stand corrected Sergeant Major
"M3 shape charge"
It's been 20 years plus since I played with one
Though you got to admit it did make quite a detent in the ground

Attachments

• mm0145a0027im.jpg
    mm0145a0027im.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
Vietnam shaped charge

Pictured is a Vietnam era U.S. shaped charge from FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions U.S. Army...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 858.jpg
    Picture 858.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 14
As Norman said - Charge Demolition No. 1, Beehive, 6in.

British (or Empire manufactured)

Note the white filling crosses around the shoulder, filling was TNT/PETN 75/25. as shown on the filling ring

Lot 105

Strongly suspect filled at Chorley (CY) but only the Y is visible
Filled in July ? You'll have to take a closer look for the year

Charge Demolition No. 1, Beehive, 6in.

Description - 6in diameter hollow charge with three 6in fixed legs. Contents: 6 3/4 lb HE

Use - Drilling tool. Used for quick excavation of boreholes. May also be used for breaking up non - reinforced concrete blocks, boulders, etc. Will penetrate 9in mild steel. Will penetrate 6in armour plate.

Regards

TimG

Last edited: