What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pieces Parts ID

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Just thought I'd throw these out and see if anyone can give an ID. They did come off a projectile.:neutral: Cheers, Bruce.

Photo191.jpg

Spotter, Close. It is indeed copper and the scrunched up piece inside of it is a malformed lead disk. The two form what is the base closure disk and lead seal for the 155mm Mk 1, Mk 1A1, etc. howitzer rounds. Most US HE (75mm and up, I think) rounds, even to this day that do not have either a base fuze (though they tended to be sealed with lead, also) or a tracer have a base closure disk either made of copper, brass or steel and kept in place with either lead calking, brazing stamping or welding. The reason for the disk originally was because our rounds are forged and stamped much like a cartridge case or a soda can is. When doing this, sometimes minute cracks appear in the base and when the gun fires, could have catastrophic consequences. Hence the base closure disk, which acts as a gas seal. The one pictured is a curiosity to me since it shows that the lead seal under the disk has scooted to the side, and in the other attached picture is another round found during clearance operations with the same problem. It makes me wonder about the accuracy of our 155mm (or bigger) ammunition. If the lead seal was thrown to the side, I would think it would impart a yaw in the projectile thus affecting the accuracy. From range clearance operations in which M107 155mm round were found with the welded steel base plate and no lead seal, it makes me wonder if they discovered the problem, if there was one, or if they just stopped using the lead seal to conserve on strategic materials, found it worked just as good, and didn't go back.
Another thought came to mind about the off set lead seal. Would it have off set due to the sudden acceleration of the round in the bore or would it have been because of the abrupt deceleration when it impacted the ground? Cheers, Bruce.

Attachments

• Photo190.jpg
    Photo190.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Photo189.jpg
    Photo189.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 28
Spotter, Close. It is indeed copper and the scrunched up piece inside of it is a malformed lead disk. The two form what is the base closure disk and lead seal for the 155mm Mk 1, Mk 1A1, etc. howitzer rounds. Most US HE (75mm and up, I think) rounds, even to this day that do not have either a base fuze (though they tended to be sealed with lead, also) or a tracer have a base closure disk either made of copper, brass or steel and kept in place with either lead calking, brazing stamping or welding. The reason for the disk originally was because our rounds are forged and stamped much like a cartridge case or a soda can is. When doing this, sometimes minute cracks appear in the base and when the gun fires, could have catastrophic consequences. Hence the base closure disk, which acts as a gas seal. The one pictured is a curiosity to me since it shows that the lead seal under the disk has scooted to the side, and in the other attached picture is another round found during clearance operations with the same problem (you can make out the bulge to the left on the closure disk). It makes me wonder about the accuracy of our 155mm (or bigger) ammunition. If the lead seal was thrown to the side, I would think it would impart a yaw in the projectile thus affecting the accuracy. From range clearance operations in which M107 155mm round were found with the welded steel base plate and no lead seal, it makes me wonder if they discovered the problem, if there was one, or if they just stopped using the lead seal to conserve on strategic materials, found it worked just as good, and didn't go back.

Another thought came to mind about the off set lead seal. Would it have off set due to the sudden acceleration of the round in the bore or would it have been because of the abrupt deceleration when it impacted the ground? Cheers, Bruce.

Attachments

• Photo190.jpg
    Photo190.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: