What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me identify these two projectiles

Canuck

20221027_151303.jpg
I picked up these two projectiles they were mated to 3/50cal brass i do not believe they were supposed to go together.Both are unmarked except for an S on the bottom of the taller one .Both have holes in the base for tracer element .In Canada we dont see many projectiles with two driving bands im guessing that they may be European .Both are armour piercing .They are 3in across at the base which again im guessing is around 76mm any help would be great!!
Thx Mark

Looks like a 17 pounder AP and a 17 pounder APCBC, however repainted in the wrong colors.
repaint them in the right colous and find yourself two 17 pounder shellcases and you have two very nice and much desired collectors pieces.

For sure its not a 25pdr i hve a casing for a 25pdr the projectile is 1/2 too small in diameter i thought the same as you

Yeah see what you mean now my mistake its either a 10lb or 11.5lb

Attachments

• 20221027_151303.jpg
    20221027_151303.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 22
  • b8b6361b5b875076c67694bf6b2048458aac5359_2_690x456.jpeg
    b8b6361b5b875076c67694bf6b2048458aac5359_2_690x456.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi all

Yes both 17pdrs and both apbc, one with cap and one without cap hence the height of the one on the left, also can tell there 17pdr as the angle of drive bands, if there is a small pocket/indent about 1/2" diameter on the bottom then apbct . hope this helps

womble

I agree with Pzgr40....AP and APCBC. ..... To me the AP looks too long to be missing both piercing cap AND ballistic cap so I think just a straight AP. Don't they all have tracer cavities ?Just my opinion....nice rounds though.

I agree with Pzgr40....AP and APCBC. ..... To me the AP looks too long to be missing both piercing cap AND ballistic cap so I think just a straight AP. Don't they all have tracer cavities ?Just my opinion....nice rounds though.
Hi Flak 18 please see attached pic, the bottom 17pdr is a standard APT and the three above APBCT the curve from the main body of a standard one starts about 30mm higher that the BC ones, looking at the initially pic posted the curve appears to start at the same point hence my comment.

cheers womble

DSC_0974.jpg

Hi Womble
Well, I can't argue with that. Thank you. I stand corrected. That's what is so wonderful about this site. Always something to learn
I'll have to compare mine tomorrow. Like 6pr 7cwt I think 17pr rounds exhibited quite a few varieties.
Cheers

Flak 18
Thank you for the post, it some times is hard to tell on a photo and depends on the angle that the photo is taken, maybe if Canuck could take a photo with them lined up -similar to mine then easier to tell or take a measurement then this would help, the standard 17 pdr is quite a bit longer, I know the first shorter one proj I came across I thought I had a shorter trials one but it is one without its cap.
thats the fun and games with collecting, I know a little but do not claim to know alot, and was not trying to correct you, totally agree with you with regards this site, its very helpful and there is always plenty to learn. cheers womble

Hi Womble
Yes, the day we stop learning is the day we die so it is always a pleasure to take on board some new info and I thank you.
Keep up the good work