What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PM-79, Russian anti personel mine

pzgr40

Premium Member
PM-79, Bulgarian anti personel mine

Cutaway model of a Bulgarian PM-79 anti personel mine. The mine has a grey plastic body (1) and has a black rubber cover (3). A plastic cap (2) is placed on top of the mine body (1). These parts are held together by a steel crimped around ring (10). The mine is filled with 78,3 grams of Hexal (grey).

Build up and functioning of the mine:
When the mine is laid in the ground, the safety pin (4) is removed. The firing pin (5) is now springloaded (6). A bushing (7) houses the lead strip (8) that forms a lead shear arming delay. This delays the arming of the fuze 2 minutes at +40 degrees celcius and 240 minutes at -20 degrees celcius. All parts (5,6,7,8) are placed in a threaded cap (9).
When the lead wire is cut through, the firing pin moves forward until stopped by the central post (11). The central post also houses the detonator (12) which is kept out of line of the explosive charge and the firing pin when in rest.
If a person steps on the pressure plate (13) of the mine , the pressure plate is levered, lifting the central post (11). This lifts the detonator in front of the explosive charge, and it enables the firing pin to pass into the detonator (12).
Due to the construction of the fuzing system, the mine is claimed to be resistent to mine claearance with fuel air explosives (overpressure)

Weight of mine : 225 grams
Diameter : 100mm
Heighth : 50mm

Attachments

• PM-79 complete and cutaway model.JPG
    PM-79 complete and cutaway model.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 85
  • PM-79  safe cutaway.jpg
    PM-79 safe cutaway.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 87
  • PM-79  safe, armed and steped upon.jpg
    PM-79 safe, armed and steped upon.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
You're welcome, I however had to change the title of the subject; it's a Bulgarian mine, not Russian.
Regarsd DJH