What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

police visit during the night

Yes capable of causing an explosion! inert ordnace means just that! inert,incapable of causing an explosion,suggest you carry on reading the Royal Mail site until you come to the part Paul has already stated in a previous post on this thread

Did you not read this bit too?

'Items that appear to be prohibited weapons or explosive ordnance, even if incapable of being used as a weapon, are prohibited'.

This sounds like inert ordnance to me!

The items listed below are prohibited from all our mail services including but not limited to First Class, Second Class, Airmail and Surface mail.

Planes are used to transport internal mail as well as international mail.
The above refers to all mail be it domestic or international.

Andy,
I think I have found out the reason for what looks like contradictory statements from Royal Mail.
In the link you provided it states "what appears to be prohibited ordnance" I think you will find this refers to section 5 prohibited items and items which appear to be 'live',hence the "closer scrutiny and delay" part in the link I provided.
Which would explain why many dealers put in a F.F.E note or send disassembled.
As inert ordnance is not prohibited,but on some occasions it is difficult to tell if it is inert if it has what appears to be a live primer and is assembled and it would appear to be prohibited ordnance,so it is understandable that the Royal mail issue both of these seemingly conflicting statements.
What are your views on this? It seems a lot clearer to me if both statements are read together

Tony

The items listed below are prohibited from all our mail services including but not limited to First Class, Second Class, Airmail and Surface mail.

Planes are used to transport internal mail as well as international mail.
The above refers to all mail be it domestic or international.

"Replica and inert explosive devices and military ordnance, including inert grenades, inert shells and similar items are not permitted for either import or export, and if posted within the UK will be subject to closer scrutiny which will cause delay."

Copied and posted from Royal Mails web site,I know planes are also used for internal mail hence the orange stickers Royal mail stick on some parcels containing inert ordnance,why would they do this if sending inert ordnance internaly was illegal?

Last edited:
The two links seem to contradict each other.
Smle2009s link is the one I have seen and probably what other collectors go by.
Any clarification of the distinction between the two rules?

Andrew

Oops, I was writing this as smle2009 did his.

Last edited:
Yes, to be as clear as I can Andys link refers to prohibited weapons and prohibited ordnance(live or section 5)that are not allowed to be sent via Royal mail,Also as the link I provided states there may be a problem with items that appear to be prohibited weapons and ordnance resulting in examination and delay of delivery.
Think we all can learn a lesson from this thread....send/ask to be sent disassembled with a F.F.E(free from explosive) statement,which should show in any x-ray or examination of the parcel that it is not a prohibited item

Tony

Reading all this is vey disheartening indeed.
Not being able to receive from the the UK will hurt us here in the Obama Republic.
As far as being "labeled" a collector, last year I was visited by our BATF. I was told by them that they received an email from Interpol about a transaction I had with a guy from Germany. In the email they stated that I "was not a warlord or terrorist." Long story short they were here to do a safety check on the item I bought. I lost nothing but my collection got x-rayed and was found to be safe. There's nothing like a couple of bomb squad trucks in front of your house to gain the "respect" of nosey neighbors.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. This could have just been a one off. Controlled drops by the Police are not uncommon, and is a result of the postal company x raying the item and assuming it's illegal. The same way that stun guns etc get dealt with, if the Police in the area have the manpower, if not, they are just seized.

I was visited about 3 years ago, had to take apart some of my collection to prove FFE (the nut in the case does save a lot of aggro!).Police were very good, I kept my collection but I had to go to the local nick, have prints, pics & DNA taken. No charges but it is `on file` as it came up when I renewed my Shot gun licence!!
At least I am on the system as a bona fide `collector`but I too would like to know if I can get a FAC with Ammo (inc S 5) on it!!??

As a buyer & seller I am worried by the policies regarding posting. Seems to me part of the Royal Mail one is a bit like the old Queens reg No 69!! If they can`t be specific as to the `offence or breach of policy` then what they `consider to be` covers it all!!

I agree courier for large items - but an envelope with one .303 ball in it - is it worth it?
Possibly being up front on he parcel/envelope & clearly stating contents & FFE will smooth things over with Mr Pat but then again may just get him even more excited?
Unfortunately I will be clearly stating that postage/delivery is at buyers risk - I always get proof of posting & insurance if value justifies or buyer asks for it, but I will not be selling to overseas anymore.

I don't sell overseas anymore either. I think that we have to accept that those days have gone now, for UK sellers anyway.

iT IS NOT A DAFT IDEA TO INVITE YOURE LOCAL FIREARMS OFFICER TO COME AND SEE YOURE COLLECTION OF ORDNANCE,THE POLICE,TIME PERMITTING, WILL BE HAPPY TO PAY YOU A VISIT WITHOUT UN-HINGING YOURE DOOR(S) AND INVOLVING ARMED OFFICERS,AS HAPPENED TO A FRIEND OF MINE LAST YEAR.
YOU THEN BECOME KNOWN TO THE POLICE AS A COLLECTOR OF ORDNANCE AND THAT WILL MAKE THEM HAPPY.

@ earni

Hmmm I had the full works, ARU & a dozen regulars with an incident commander!! All worked out ok once they got into my `den` & as I said before I know I am on the system but the sceptic in me wold feel more comfortable being beyond reproach.
I do not know the full story but one collector I know has a full FAC with S5 & he still got raided, gear confiscated etc - so I suppose at the end of the day it`s a case of be safe, BE legal & keep all your body parts crossed!

I totaly agree with you on this one H,I think I would rather be out of the system and keep out of it! can't help thinking if you are on the system that you would be one of the first to be paid a visit if the s**t hit the fan!
If the collector you know is the same one I know that was as near a 'fit up' as could be!

Tony

I was visited about 3 years ago, had to take apart some of my collection to prove FFE (the nut in the case does save a lot of aggro!).

Now that's a really great idea!
Rattles around like shaking a paint can - is this a common practice?

Very interesting thread!

When you apply for your UK Collector's permits etc, does that include a "site visit" by the local Police to ensure that adequate security arrangements are in place?

In the old days, the Police only use to come and check the security arrangements for Pistol collectors /shooters. Now that has been extended over the years to cover rifles and recently prohibited weapons. (Crims were found it easier to break into residential places and take rifles, especially if the weapons were just stuffed in cupboards, under beds etc.)
Presently, when any of the licenses or permits are due for renewal, I can expect a call from the local Police to organize for a visit, where they'll check the firearms serial numbers against their records and review the security arrangements. Since there are only 3 registered shooters in my suburb and the Police have been here a few times (same Gentlemen), then yes they know who I am and I'm on the database. They are also the same Gentlemen who check the inert ordnance security arrangements, as both the firearms and inert ordnance is controlled by the Police Firearms Registry. I guess the point is that they know that I'm a bonafie collector and would hope they check their Firearms Registry prior to kicking the front doors down! :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Even with Prohibited weapons permit(s), there is always the last clause, which basically states that for whatever reason, it can be revoked at anytime........but then I have held them for over 35 years now.
Cheers
Drew

When you apply for your UK Collector's permits etc, does that include a "site visit" by the local Police to ensure that adequate security arrangements are in place?

We dont have collectors permits here in the UK.

Andy

Not true at all Andy. Plenty of people have an FAC for a firearms collection, we just don't call them Colector Permits..

My own FAC is varied for my ammo collection with full Section 5 Authority and it specifically states the ammunition is for collection and research and is not to be fired.

...and yes, Dronic69, we do have visits for any type of FAC application or variation, rifle, pistol, shotgun or ammo, and also for renewal (5 years).

I much prefer to in the system. The police know me, I know the forensic people, they have my books in their library and I have had a FAC for 49 years.

Regards
TonyE