What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polish 1939 Hand Grenade with WZ 31 Fuse

M8owner

As you know, I am not that into grenades. However, I have been offered this item for $100. Is this a good buy? Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 100_7658.jpg
    100_7658.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_7659.jpg
    100_7659.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 77
Hi M8 - I have quite a number Polish inert grenades. I am pretty sure the fuse you have on the Polish Grenade is incorrect. It looks like a modern day French fuse and lever (which although fits in the screw thread is not right at all). I stand to be corrected but am 95% certain of this.

Thank you gentlemen. I have requested a photo of the WZ GR 31 on the fuse - if it is there. From what I can tell, the Poles copied much from the French. Model 1897 French 75mm field guns in Polish service come to mind.

Actually the French copied the Poles on the grenade fuze, the french fuze was adopted in 1935, well after the Poles designed it.

I now have a close up of the fuse showing the correct markings "WZGR31".

Attachments

• 100_7669.jpg
    100_7669.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 43
Fuze on the left is a earlier type for grenades wz.O 23 and wz.Z 23.Nice body on the left.If you will have one with this marking for sale or trade tell me know:)

Looks like it is in good shape.
That's the obronny (defensive) grenade - you need to find the zaczepny (offensive) to have the matched set.
polish g 001.jpgpolish g 004.jpgpolish g 005.jpg

M8owner, the granade you were offered is ok.
And yes, the French copied our fuze or possibly bought the rights for it.

Pajarito: nice collection :)
jeff w: nice polish training grenade, very nice :)