What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pomeroy Exploding Bullets

Hi,
I have just joined this site to find out some information, about pomeroy exploding bullets. , can somebody tell me their principle of operation ? As I understand it, they contain Nitroglycerin which is spun outwards by the rotation of the bullet as it leaves the barrel, then explodes on contact when the front hits a solid object. Thanks for any info; I don't seem to be able to find out very much anywhere else on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Trailbiker,
The first Pomeroy bullets were designed just before WW1, and development continued for several years. When the .303 Pomeroy Mk 1 was approved for service in 1916, it basically consisted of a copper tube "warhead" in which was a charge of nitroglycerine absorbed in Kieselguhr (more commonly known as "Fuller's earth", I believe). The base of the tube was sealed with a millboard disc, whilst the top end (which projected out of the nose of the bullet) was rounded, with a very small hole in the tip. All of the explosive compound should remain in the bullet when it was fired, and should explode when the bullet hit the target.

The Mk 2 version did not have the small hole in the tip of the copper warhead, and in addition had a small steel ball placed in the base of the tube to increase sensitivity.

Pomeroy bullets were also made in .450 calibre, whilst some of the development work was carried out using bullets in.375" and .600" calibre.

For the full story you need to read the late Peter Labbett's book on .303s.

Pomeroy

The above is a fairly good synopsis from Peter's book, and there are more details in his British small arms ammunition volume that covers other calibres.

Pomeroy was a New Zealander who had first approached the British authorities with his early design when a British cruiser visited Aukland. There was little interest so he went first to the United States before coming to the UK in 1914 and demonstrating his bullets in various calibres (including .45 pistol - type unknown) to the Navy at Whale Island.

Again it was not taken up immediately and he submitted several designs including a normal .303 Mark VII bullet drilled from the nose and filled with his nitroglycerine/ keiselguhr mix.

Eventually the type with the copper war head was adopted as the Mark VIIY (although never headstamped as such, the usual headstamp is "E16 VII") and the improved Mark II became the Mark VII AA. (these were headstamped). They remained in service with the RFC until the end of the war (the RNAS preferred the Brock) but were not developed post war, as the Threlfall designs were more effective. (RTS and RTT becoming the Explosive R Mark III by the 1930s)

The picture shows both types.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Pomeroy.jpg
    Pomeroy.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Pomeroy2.jpg
    Pomeroy2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 61