What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posh Mills Grenade lighter !

A couple of years ago a dealer at a local boot sale brought me a very similar looking highly polished Mills grenade - but it was not a lighter and I am sure it was ALL aluminium - I was not sure about it, as it had no markings at all, but did have a removable base plug and internal components - there were a couple of big ordnance factories around here and I wondered if it was a "trade sample" or "lunch break model"? - We haggled on the price but could not agree and I left it. Later he claimed he had got a considerably higher price than he asked me, but this was not the first time he had said that, though I did get a few good buys off him. I have always wondered what it was and have never seen anything similar in books or online - this silver one is about the nearest in appearance - anyone any ideas?

I'm sure there was an all alluminium model, maybe for sample. I think there was an example on that Mills grenade site that I can't remember the page name of.

seem to remember reading somewhere that mills produced some in aluminium as protypes, which makes sense as he was in the aluminium business

Yep - that's the one! It was certainly hollow and had a filler and base plug, plus the internal separator still in place and a plunger, but no clip or pin - looks like another one that got away for me!

Never mind mate. I would say "There are plenty more fish in the sea", but sadly this is not the case with this alluminium model!