What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Chinese Cannonball

NOVICHOK-5

Trying to ID an Item , it appears to be a cannonball with a screw in plug.

ID features of the Item:
-likely Iron/steel (rusted but just lite surface rust)
-machined texture , doesnt appear to be cast.
-size approx 130mm
-has a screw in plug(flat/slot type screw head) ,plug is round shaped head to match contures of item
-plug is approx 21mm(7/8")in diameter
-markings around plug hole CHINA on one side and 81 R on the other side(could be a poorly stamped B aswell since china is poorly stamped also)

Things that concern me with the item:
-Item has a substantial weight to it, wouldnt be a concern if it didnt have the plug.
-plug doesnt appear to have been removed in a very long time, there is a good amount of rust and other material(dirt maybe) around the plug.

* I dont believe the plug is a fuze as it is simular if not the same material as the Item and there are no markings on the plug its self.

** I will see if I can get pictures later , although I dont think they will help anymore with the ID of the item as it is just a sphere and I have included any possible ID features that are there.

Last edited:
Often mistaken for cannon balls are track and field shot-puts. About 4-inches in diameter, with a fill plug to adjust the weight, they can look very similar to early fuzes. What would make me suspicious is that a Chinese cannon ball would have Chinese characters, it would not say "China", nor have a B stamped onto it.

I had a brass one abandoned in front of my Bombatorium a few weeks ago, apparently someone thought that they were leaving it in the best place. The brass should be worth enough to buy me a couple bullets.

After you pointed me in the right direction I did a google image search and you are 100 percent right on what it was , thanks .

Sphere;

As Subs pointed out shotputs are normally made of brass and have a brass plug which is removed to add lead weights to bring the competition shot put up to standard. They are cast, not milled and cast marks are removed. How about a photo showing ball and plug?
Regards,
John

John was my confirmation source for the one I was recently given, I meant to give you credit there John -

NAuthentic%20(50).jpg

That is not the Item I have sitting on the shelf at the office but it looks exacly like that right down to the machining marks , only thing missing on the picture is the markings and the one we have the slot in the plug doesnt extend to the full diameter of the plug

Last edited: