What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible flak 88mm restoration

PacoMB

Hello all

Some three years ago, I had some nice holidays in France. Went some days to Normandie of course and was fascinated. There was some sort of outside museum made where a recent bunker was discovered. They had some huge shells laying on the floor as asked if they sold them and said I could buy one for cheap. I could choose my self so went for the best one. Most where very damaged, rusty and bent. I got the best of the group, maybe they had about 10 of them.

Last week I decided it was time to restore it. The case is steel metal and as it was found below ground, it was very rusty. Fortunately, the was holes on the case. With a sanding block, I could remove plenty of surface rust, then washed thoroughly the shell, outside and inside. Now at least when I hold it, I dont get my fingers brown because of the rust.

On the button, I have found the marks 1944, so was shot during the Normandie war. There are no more visible marks because of the rust eating the metal. Maybe it�s possible to see some numbers. But sadly the eagle is no longer visible.

I am not sure what to do:
-Should I leave it this way??
-Leave it this way and give some rust protective layer like a rust inhibitor or lacquer coat?
-Or should I continue with restoration and use some light sand blast media to remove the rust and show as much good metal as possible??

I am worried about using the sand blasting method on the button as I may remove the date marks.....

Any idea/recommendations??

paco
IMG_7116.jpgIMG_7098.jpgIMG_7099.jpgIMG_7107.jpgIMG_7111.jpg

I would not waste too much efforts in cleaning this, as similar cases in very good condition are available in Europe for rather low cost.
AND, if this particular case has a memorial value to you - don't clean it at all.

Hello,

I know evapo rust, there are many similar products that convert rust into a black layer.

Tmine35, well, I made nearly 3000km with that shell on the boot of my car travelling around France, and I was excited for it as it's nice. Cleaning a little bit should make no diffence. I suppose a good looking flak 88 shell must cost a lot, and sending it to Spain much more... so I dont think I will ever have the opportunity to get one of these, but I would like to!! What is rather low cost for you?

By the way, most of the photos I have seen of 88mm shells, are made of brass, while mine is made of steel, that is why it is so corroded. A brass shell would have survived with no problem these 70 years. What is the difference between the brass and the steel ones???

regards
paco

I think member Fjordhouse has these in stock 25 Euros each, you also may regularly see them listed at eGun.

Most steel case were originally plated with brass, therefore in good condition they look brass cases.
Main reason to changing to steel from brass was material cost.
Later on, at least when overhauled the steel cases have been parkerized or lacquered.

Yes!!! that's a great price endeed. I think it cost me 10 eur.

I will try to get in contact with him

I always thought that maybe shells from the first war year where made in brass, but late ones where made in steel for cost reasons. But never thought they where only brass plated.

I think I will try to clean it with my sand blast machine and very fin media, I have micro glass beds. That should remove the surface rust. Lets see what I can make. Once the rust has been removed, I will need to give a clear mat laquer coat, to prevent future rust.

Is it easy or hard to find a 88mm bullet? I would like to buy one, either if its an original ww2 one or a modern one. In case I dont find one, or they cost too much, I have lathe access and would possible make a fake one with Alu.

Hello all,

after considering all the options to restore the shell, I opted to clean it with the sand blast machine and very fine microspheres as media. The result is great. Now the steel is revealed and no rust is present. And best of all, after carefully removing the rust in the base, many original marks have appeared. Now I can clearly see the date 1944, half of the eagle, the word flak88, and many loose characters and numbers.... Finally I gave 2 coats of clear matt lacquer, that is hardly noticeable. So at the end, I think that for the original state of the shell, the result is satisfactory, at least for me.

I would like to find a projectile, but If they cost too much of shipping cost to spain is high, I will make a reproduction with a lathe, using the original measures.

The image of the base is after the first sand blast cleaning to see what I could find. I gave a second pass of sand blast and now there is almost no rust.

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg