What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

possible WW1/2 airdrop bomb struggling to ID

hello all,
im in the british army and have beenn tasked to identify the following item... the problem being im no air drop/aircraft munition expect, and am struggling to work out what it could be. ive roamed through Ordata, Janes, and of course wiki n google, and cant seem to find a possitive match on the item. would much aapprieciate a speedy reply to anyone who has any ideas as i have been given a week to identify it. thanks.

The width of the bomb is roughly 150mm
not sure on the length
and seems to be a thin cased shell
theres no obvious markings on it, (that plate on one of the pictures is a serial number plate for FFE register)

if any more information is needed please ask.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 53
Its a Hales practice bomb from WW1, dug loads up at Eastchurch on Isle of Sheepey.
I think the head is filled with pitch.

Dave

i was just about to comment on the same thing....
i can only assume that due to the nature of the practice round that they would not spend the money to put a (what looks like) a complicated tail fin section when all its for is practicing to drop it from hights???

That would make sense, although i have not seen a practice bomb to be able to look at the differences between them. The eye also appears to be slightly different and i doubt that the design of that would have changed between the service and practice. I must add that this is not my field of expertise and there will be a few members on here that can give you a positive id.
Best Weasel.

Last edited:
I thinkk it to be a WW1 origin air dropped bomb, but for the life of me can't tell the difference if German, French or British??? There are so many variants from each country..... Dano

Last edited:
another quick question....
dont interested in any RSP or anything alike, but do you know if this practice had any from of explosive attached to it, for example a flash and smoke type device for spotting where it impacted the ground. or is it quite simply a weighted representation of the 20 lb hale HE mk1?
thanks again