What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible WWI US Mk2

Trenchwarfare

Hi guys! Haven't been around in a while. Don't have this in my grubby little paws yet but... In my limited knowledge, everything points to this being a very early, Mk2. Fuse looks to be made in this configuration, not an altered Mk1. Body is correct, with rounded shoulder, and shallower serations. Large plug hole in the bottom. I assume the slot is for bank purposes. Although, I don't know how you would get the $$$ out? I guess, break it? (or use a butter knife) Given the rarity of these, the slot doesn't bother me one bit. I'm very happy with this one! Unless, someone shoots me down. Then, I'll just be happy.:tinysmile_twink_t:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 90
FWIW all of the early style US Mk. 2's that I have observed with a saw cut body were commercially modified into novelty coin banks at some point. These were also re-threaded at the bottom to receive a large plug (Much larger then the original 9/16" diameter plug) to allow the coins to be removed. I have picked up a few of these banks in the past as they are a great source for early fuzes. About 5-6 examples of these Grenade Banks have been offered on Gunbroker Auctions over the last six or so months.

Stay safe,

Frank

Thanks Frank. Were all Mk2s sold by the same GB seller? Other than modification to a bank, are they original grenades? Guess I'm just real happy, not very happy.

Be very happy!!! The fuze alone is tough as hell to find. Ive been searching for a couple fuzes for these screw bottom bodies for a long time now.

Attachments

• Nadetrade 022.jpg
    Nadetrade 022.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • Nadetrade 021.jpg
    Nadetrade 021.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Nadetrade 023.jpg
    Nadetrade 023.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Frank. Were all Mk2s sold by the same GB seller? Other than modification to a bank, are they original grenades? Guess I'm just real happy, not very happy.

The Early Mk. 2's converted into coin banks that I have observed through the last 30 years were offered by different sellers and the conversion(s) appeared to be vintage. I believe that the bodies / fuzes were original manufacture prior to being modified. Not sure if whoever was doing the modification back in the day was just using surplus or possibly rejected components as a source of parts? Probably just a way to turn something that was common then, into a novelty item that would have some resale value or promotional desire.

Stay safe,

Frank

Thanks Frank. Lou, I'm very happy again.:tinysmile_twink_t: Conversion, or not, it is what it is. Grenade banks must have been very prolific after WWI, especially in the UK. I've seen lots of Mills banks offered for sale. Most look like production work, not "trench art". Of course, most "trench art" was done on a production basis. After a major war, there's lots of scrap lying around.

Almost all the factory modified WW1 Mills money boxes were No 5 / 23 bodies as these were obsolete at the end of the war. If you find a WW1 No 36 Money box then it will be a one off trench art conversion. I've got one of each at present and they are quite scarce, the 36's especially so.

John

hi
i think that your grenade is a french model "henri leblanc" made before the us mk I grenade