What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly Russian case???

MissingSomething

Here is a case that was posted over on gunboards forum for ID... Kinda neat, any ideas?

(OK, think I fixed the problem)

Attachments

• Russian_shell_case.jpg
    Russian_shell_case.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
  • case_base.jpg
    case_base.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 57
  • case_logo.jpg
    case_logo.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Markings are a little hard to read but it's either Russian or Yugo from what I can see. Al'ssad might be able to help as he still encounters those items at his location.

The lettering looks Yugo, compared to Yugo things I have. I'm not sure what it is when people either post dimensions with no photos or post photos with no dimensions. If you look at the top left of the case lettering you can see the mm from the size, but that info isn't included in the photos. Usually these cases have the mm size and even gun they are used in, if you only photograph all the lettering.

Can you write to the guy that has the case, and ask for dimensions and more photos?

The lettering looks Yugo, compared to Yugo things I have. I'm not sure what it is when people either post dimensions with no photos or post photos with no dimensions. If you look at the top left of the case lettering you can see the mm from the size, but that info isn't included in the photos. Usually these cases have the mm size and even gun they are used in, if you only photograph all the lettering.

Can you write to the guy that has the case, and ask for dimensions and more photos?

Way ahead of you, I asked for better pictures of the marks on the side... he did list it as 76mm though. As soon as I get more info, I will post.

Great Pictures.

Very nice item MissingSomething, and thanks for getting the pictures up:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Do not think it is Russian or Check origin.

Way ahead of you, I asked for better pictures of the marks on the side... he did list it as 76mm though. As soon as I get more info, I will post.

Ok I enhanced the picture and attached it. From what I'm seeing, it's a cartridge for the Yugo M73 76mm projo. The "TF" should be HE-Frag. As marked, it's fired from the M42 field gun or D56 (I seem to remember this being a howitzer).

I've also attached a picture of the M42 gun.

As usual, the book and photos that I have to cover this are not with me right now. I will pull the info tonight and follow up.

Attachments

• case_logo.jpg
    case_logo.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 20
  • M-42  76MM (ZIS-3).jpg
    M-42 76MM (ZIS-3).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
yugoslav case for 76mm cannon, HEF shell, produced in Remontni Zavod Kragujevac in 1976 year as 3 series in that year.
case was filled with nitro-cellulose gunpowder produced in Milan Blagojevic Lucani factory in 1976 year too.

eodtek, M-42 is a field cannon, and D-56 is a tank cannon. same projo can be used on M-48B1 cannon but charge is much smaller and case is different.

Last edited:
Does the headstamp indicate that the brass case itself was mad ein 1948? I am talking about the "48 г" marking, does the " г" usually indicate "year" on Eastern Bloc items?

yugoslav case for 76mm cannon, HEF shell, produced in Remontni Zavod Kragujevac in 1976 year as 3 series in that year.
case was filled with nitro-cellulose gunpowder produced in Milan Blagojevic Lucani factory in 1976 year too.

eodtek, M-42 is a field cannon, and D-56 is a tank cannon. same projo can be used on M-48B1 cannon but charge is much smaller and case is different.

Thanks for the info... :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Here are the measurements he gave:

Case mouth is 3 1/16", case length is 15 1/16" long, rim diameter is 3 1/2".

Last edited:

D-56TS is a designation for russian tank cannon mounted on soviet light amphibious tank PT-76B who used Yugoslav army

est35171.jpg