What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Postage laws etc

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all,

When I used to collect, there wasn't really internet and stuff like there is now, so I'm sort of a newbie now I have returned. How do we in the UK stand on ordering inert ordnance from Europe? Is it a waste of time due to stuff being seized or is all fine?

Any experience would be much appreciated.

Good question....
Ive had a lot of great deals through the post from Europe in the past with no bother,however the last 2 deals have simply not arrived..
the first,im willing to blame the thieving ##### that the post office employ in the sorting rooms nowadays and the second is a case of a crooked dealer not sending the stuff OR the items where 'smegged' by the authorities???
Im due a trip to Germany later on this year with some pals and we are going to visit the man in question for tea and biscuits...............

best

waff

I have during years sent lot of inert ordnance items all around the world having only 2 shipments lost on the way. The point for postal inspection is that all items are REALLY INERT and clean from any explosive residues, stripped into pieces for easy inspection ( X-ray or visual ) and a properly detailed packing list attached.
If available I also attach a sectional drawing of the item showing where the nasty parts have been removed from.
Doing this I haven't heard of any troubles at either end in years. If description on parcel says "paperweight, flower pot" or similar one can be sure that the troubles come.
Naturally we have to keep in mind that in these days a lot of "normal" postal shipments also disappear on the way - not only ordnance related.

Hi,
i have bought and sold stuff worldwide and so far everything sent overseas has arrived bar 2, one of which was returned by the Canadian customs as not being allowed into their country. The other was sent to Italy and i now wont deal with that country in any way.I have had items sent from the US and Europe without a problem. Sending to the US takes a lot longer as it needs to go surface mail. Australia is another problem country due to their very harsh laws re ordnance.
Hope this helps,

Andy

That was a great help, thanks. There seems to be a lot of nice items from Germany and Poland. Have any of you had any problems ordering from these countries?
Thanks

I recently sent and received items to/from Sweden and the surface mail was fantastic. Very very quick (3 days each way).

All items were stripped down, packed separately and despite being fairly small put in a fairly large box (I figured small boxes would get lost easily).

I included a note with contact details stating it was inert etc.

Just make sure you write all over the box "surface mail only".

Dave.

The only problems ive had exporting and inporting miliaria over the last 18 years has been a consignment of foreign grenades i posted to my friend in the states that were seized by customs, i was interviewd by Anti terrriost police who concluded that i had done nothing wrong , but advised that anything sent should have an FFE certifcate but were happy with a signed statement.A year later my friend was fully compensated for the loss. I deal with China a lot and have had packages opened by mount pleasant sorting office , and again no problem.
Another thing is to only deal with dealers that accept Pay pal as there is a guarantee, if anything goes wrong, that you will get your money back , never pay in currency , as it can be lost or stolen in transit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much. It seems to me that the risk of things going missing is about the same as over here then. Great stuff