What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

postal delivery times.

I bought my German WW1 transitional kugel grenade from Germany. Lacking a paypal account I went to my bank and ordered the money in Euros. The seller emailed me from Germany when he got the Euros in cash in the mail. My kugel was here 1 week later. Here in the US if I order something from GWM it comes UPS and takes 2 days. I am testing this thread to get some realtime delivery times from country to country etc.. Surface mail from England has improved as now it takes about 30 days to get a surface package to the U.S. from The United Kingdom (big time improvement). Russia to the U.S. about 1 week after seller gets cash, and from Spain to the U.S. about 1 1/2 weeks. Was wondering the postal turn-around time from one country to another. Any information shared would be greatly appreciated....Dano

I have just had some horrible experiences with the tiny hop from the UK to The Netherlands. Two parcels were sent, by different sellers, both containing an early 1900s empty and fired shell case.

The first parcel was sent on April 8th, and contained a straightforward British manufactured (for the Jap contract) 47x131R case. It didn't arrive until June 25th! (i.e. 2 months and 1.5 weeks of a transit time!)

I checked the parcel, and it has some weird stickering on it. Firstly there's the normal white Royal Mail sticker, having a date stamp of April 14th, next to that (slightly over it), there's an orange sticker with the following text:

==================================
DO NOT FLY.
-----------
THIS ITEM/BAG CONTAINS GOODS WHICH
ARE NOT PERMITTED TO FLY.
SEND BY SURFACE MAIL ONLY
----------------------------------
Royal Mail

==================================

Next, about half of that sticker is covered by a further sticker, which is yellow and contains a large barcode, and finally, over that, there's a white sticker of identical size, without print, fully masking the yellow one...

The second parcel is worse still, it has been sent on April 20th, contains a lovely Chinese 1910 case (shown here at BOCN) and still hasn't arrived, so I fear it is now addorning some custom's officer's chimney or so. :tinysmile_cry_t3:

As for surface mail: I was under the impression that there was no such option left between our countries. If it can still explicitly be chosen, it would be good to be able to do so...

Cheers,
Olafo

I did wonder what effect these Do Not Fly labels would have on mail to foreign destinations.I have had several packages with these labels on in the last month or two,all of them internal UK mail.

The first such package contained 7 inert WW1 grenades,and took 15 days to arrive,the second one contained 3 inert grenades and also took 15 days (Seller much closer,that time).

The most recent,a couple of days ago,contained 2 inert PaK rounds and took 8 days to arrive,funnily enough,a 1kg Sprengbuchse posted the day before,arrived with it,and didn't have a Do Not Fly label on it.

U.S. to U.S. United Parcel service 2 days - U.S. to U.S. USPS priority 2 days, non prority 3 days to 1 1/2 weeks. From Germany to U.S. DHL 1 week. United Kingdom to U.S. Air about 1 1/2 weeks. I dont get the do not fly deal. My god would it be a lesser catasprophe by boat if they are doing it for thr reasons I think? That is why I'd rather orfer within .S. but on dome nicer stuff just an impossibility. I guess
I shoul feel lucky it gets here at all...Thoughts on paper.....Dano

u.
s. DHL