What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posting from UK to US

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone please help me?
I am wanting to post an L111A1 (practice UK grenade), from the UK, to the US.
Is there anything I need to know?
Does it have to go by boat and do I have to strip it and seperate any bits etc?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi PB,
Ive always had no trouble sending to the the US by boat.
I do however make sure that everything is stripped as possible and there is a note inside declaring that they are indeed inert and the full details of the seller.
best
waff

PM me for more details. ;)

Last edited:
It is unlawfull for Spanish speaking people to send grenades in the US mail, there is a large poster in out local post office stating that it is unlawfull to ship grenades, ammunition, gasoline, or alcohol, but it is in Spanish, so I figure it does not apply to me (OK, I do understand Spanish, so I can not send them, but I make sure that anyone sending grenades to me, does not understand Spanish)
The problem is, if the package is opened for any reason, the contents will be confinscated, surface mail is not x-rayed, anything going on an airplane is (from what we are told).
I have had 8 items delivered in the US post with out problem, but the buyer (not the seller, in my honest opinon) needs to accept the fact that it may be lost, or shell out the cash for UPS or Fed Ex shipping.
Best wishes
Gus

Hi PB,
Ive always had no trouble sending to the the US by boat.
I do however make sure that everything is stripped as possible and there is a note inside declaring that they are indeed inert and the full details of the seller.

Thanks for the advice. What is the customs ticket? I have never posted ordnance overseas before so am completely unaware of anything to do with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pointblank,
The customs ticket is a little sticker to fill in and attach to parcel at the post office. They give it to you when you tell 'em that its a package to the US.

PM me if you need anymore info.

best

waff

Thanks for the help. I'm going to sleep on it and decide whether it is worth the risk in losing it or not.
Cheers,
Rob

I dont think it worth the risk ,having had a consignment confiscated by American customs , it took over a year to get compensation, Also American postal service do not allow ordnance to be carried in their system.
just a thought

Shipping to the U.S. or within the U.S. these days is always risky. The U.S. postal service is Government owned, and there is a little known rule with them that you only find out about if they confiscate your package. I found this out from a collector 15 years ago who had a package confiscated, mis identified as live and his vintage round was taken out and blown up by EOD.

It seems that the secret rule says that when you ship a package with them (U.S. Postal Service), as long as they hold it, it belongs to them, so they can do anything they want with it, like blow it up, or actually deliver it to you. That is why I only ship Ordnance items with United Parcel or FedEx ground. Internationally, FedEx and United parcel do their own customs work, so there isn't a customs charge.

If you are going to ship to the U.S. via regular post, yes do break things into pieces and separate in the package and ship by ground/boat so that the chance of x-ray is minimized. Wash the components to remove any odors or traces of energetics. Once regular post hits the U.S. the U.S. postal service takes over, unless it is shipped by United Parcel of FedEx, who deliver the package through their own network. The only problem with the private companies, is their high prices, but it avoids government intervention.

Last edited:
So, does this mean no more trading with the USA with you guys on the other side of the large pond?:tinysmile_eyebrow_t:tinysmile_cry_t4::tinysmile_cry_t4: