What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice bomb

F0031

I have here a blue practice bomb to identify. Similar to one posted here at
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/usaf-practice-bomb-t39104.html
except that mine might have a few more holes.

Weight 10.5kg (25lb?), total length 573mm, body length 203mm, maximum body diameter 101mm, tail section length 370mm, maximum tail section diameter 60mm, fin length 84mm, fin span 145mm. A central hole of diameter 25mm runs through the entire length. There are two opposite holes of diameter 9mm and also a 17mm threaded hole to take a carry-ring. There is also a small hole near the nose for a safety pin.

There are no original markings but a previous owner has hand-written RUSSIAN AIRCRAFT PRACTICE BOMB INERT. I can't remove the tail section without doing damage.

Merry Christmas to all,

Tony.

Attachments

• Practice aerial bomb 1a.jpg
    Practice aerial bomb 1a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Practice aerial bomb 1c.jpg
    Practice aerial bomb 1c.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Practice aerial bomb 1d.jpg
    Practice aerial bomb 1d.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 73
20 Lb British RAF Practice Bomb

Hi Tony,

I have bought one of these six months ago from a very respected collector who reliably informed me it was a British prac Bomb. I attach a picture of my one for your reference.

Best Regards

wilson

Attachments

• British 20 Lb A-C Bomb 30 - 50.jpg
    British 20 Lb A-C Bomb 30 - 50.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
This is US manufacture, not British. It is 25lb but not commonly called that. Its normal name is a BDU 33.

as jayteepee says it is a 25lb BDU 33 which is used by most nato country's.
in us navy service it is designated a MK 76.
regards
tomsk.

Thanks, jayteepee_1999 and tomsk for your information. I did a little research and I agree, it must be a BDU-33. The measurements check out and all the holes are in the right places. The BDU-33 simulates the 500 lb Mk-82 General Purpose bomb. (So the bit about Russian aircraft should not be taken seriously.)

Tony.

Hi,
it`s indeed a BDU-33. American manufacture, but also used by many other NATO countries, just like Tomsk said. We have to load these practice bombs a lot. Yours is missing the srew in suspension lug and the striker.
These bombs are loaded with a signal, placed in the nose section, which on impact give a bright flash an a cloud of smoke, so the place of impact can be determined.

Cornman

Here are two examples of being "Practice" that really aren't:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151529590

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151600258

Now, the both of these auctions are suppose to be "practice" versions but the "practice bomb" still comes with a "LIVE" cartridge that he has included with the auction. the cartriges for the "Practice" bomb I have seen them in some Gunshows allot at one time and have read the label of these "Practice" versions for these practice bombs and did some research. They can injure a person if not handled correctly?

The one that is still in the can probably could remove a finger or two if not handled correctly also.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. The problem, now and always, is that people mix up "practice" with inert. These are practice items, intended for practice - nothing about inert. As previously explained, there are practice items that contain several pounds of TNT. That makes it no less practice.

The constant fight is for people to remember that practice does not mean inert, neither does blue color code. But it is still practice.

I agree with you Subs,
althoug the BDU-33 (for this example) has a relatively small signal, it gives some real `fireworks` as can be seen on the picture I made:

Attachments

• DSC00242.jpg
    DSC00242.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 81
Thanks to adding the * after the entry in SEARCH, I found this dated thread.

I just received this one in the mail. Best I can tell is it's a Mk76 Mod?. The pics of the BDU-33s I saw had the "wrapped" fin set. The fin attachment is a little different than pictured items I've located, so am guessing this is an earlier or later Mod.
The striker is present, although JB WELDed in. The lug hole is threadless. It's a 0.65in ID smooth hole. So, how am I supposed to get a lug for this thing? Anybody got any spare lugs out there?
Does anybody have an example with original markings?

Bomb, practice, 25lb 002 (Small).jpgBomb, practice, 25lb 001 (Small).jpgBomb, practice, 25lb 003 (Small).jpgBomb, practice, 25lb 004 (Small).jpg

Hi ,

I haven't got examples to hand at present but both the BDU-33 and MK.76 can have the pictured style tail.
From memory the BDU has a longer straight part of the tail (though still same overall length),they also seem to differ in how the tail cone is attached.
Will try and dig out some examples.
The lug hole should be threaded so maybe this one has had a broken lug drilled out?,they tend to bend/snap on impact.

cheers
Bob

There are many different mods to the BDU 33, some of them affecting the length of the tail. I have a couple of different ones that are about 2 inches (4cm) different in length.

F0031, I have found some information that may help identify which practice bomb you have.

Ref: TM 9-1325-200
Bomb Practice 25lb BDU-33/B and BDU-33A/B, Length 22.5 inch (572mm), Diameter 4 inch (102mm), Weight 23.5lb (10.68kg). The BDU-33/B has shrouded fins, the BDU-33A/B has cruciform type fins.

Ref: NAVAIR 11-5A-17
Practice Bomb Mk 76 Mod 5, Length 24.64 inch (626mm), cruciform type fins.
Practice Bomb BDU-33D/B, Length 23.19 inch (589mm), Diameter 4 inch (102mm), cruciform type fins.

Ref: OP 1280
25lb Practice Bomb Mk 76 Mod 0, Length 22.5 inch (572mm), Length of Body 8 inch (203mm), Fin Length 14.5 inch (368mm), Diameter 4 inch (102mm), four fin blades in a shroud. - since this one has a shroud, I guess this can be yours.

Ref: Ordata Online
Practice Bomb Mk 76 Mod 0, 1, 2, and 3, Length 22.50 inch (572mm), Diameter 4.00 inch (102mm)
Practice Bomb Mk 76 Mod 4 Length 25.07 inch (637mm), Diameter 4.00 inch (102mm)
Practice Bomb Mk 76 Mod 5 Length 24.70 inch (627mm), Diameter 4.00 inch (102mm)

I have attached a diagram from Ordata Online. I could not find a clear reference which indicates which mods have fins in shrouds and which mods have cruciform style fins.

Ordata Diagram.jpg