What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice Bomb

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
I'm just about finished restoring my 11,1/2 Lb practice Bomb all i had was the nose that someone gave me and i had to make the tail section, I have painted the two green bands in the middle of the tail section but what i would like to know is where should the red band be, as it would have had a Det- Burster and should have one,
should it be at the back near the tail or just behind the suspension lug? all i know is, it should be painted around the rear portion of the body?
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1110392.jpg
    P1110392.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P1110378.jpg
    P1110378.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1110396.jpg
    P1110396.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 42
  • P1110400.jpg
    P1110400.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
WOW Andy, great restoration job. Would never have guessed it was the same item in both pictures.
Cheers
Gary

Thanks Kev, yes i know they used red for flash and green for smoke, but when a Det -Burster is fitted a red band was painted to donote that, well thats what i read on line and it said and quote, The standard practice bombs generally emit smoke as a spotting charge to indicate bombing accuracy. Standard practice bombs are painted white over-all with two light green bands painted around the center of the tail. Inert loaded service bombs used as practice are painted black. Practice bombs containing an exploder have a red band painted around the rear portion of the body.

Thanks Gary, yes it took a while i managed to unscrew the back bit ok and turned a wood body for it and made the fins out of tin and the tail round bit using a tin cut down.
Cheers
Andy

Thanks Kev, yes i know they used red for flash and green for smoke, but when a Det -Burster is fitted a red band was painted to donote that, well thats what i read on line and it said and quote, The standard practice bombs generally emit smoke as a spotting charge to indicate bombing accuracy. Standard practice bombs are painted white over-all with two light green bands painted around the center of the tail. Inert loaded service bombs used as practice are painted black. Practice bombs containing an exploder have a red band painted around the rear portion of the body.

Hi Andy I think the quote is correct, however I think by exploder it refers to the flash bomb

I looked in a WW2 basic armourers book I have and although it doesn't give details of the markings it is made clear the two variants

11.5lb practice smoke for use during the day
11.5lb practice flash for use at night

I'm not sure that two green bands and a single red band was used in combination - I may be wrong of course, so hopefully someone will come up with a definative answer for you.

The bomb looks great though, you must be delighted!!!

Kev

Thanks Kev for looking, and yes i am well pleased with it, i now have two so will hang them from the ceiling, i just thought that if a burster was used it would have had a red band and cant find any photos of any origanals to compare
Andy

Thanks Don, Its my second one i have done like this, and now got them both hanging together.
Andy

Attachments

• P1110401.jpg
    P1110401.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 40
Hi Andy,you have made a silk purse out of a pigs ear,I like the idea of "tin can"tail,a nice bit of lateral thinking there,the end result does you credit,
Don,