What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice grenade M.E.- U.I.

Slick

Just got this in. Checked Alex's site and he has one of similar design but without the MEUI marking. I know I've seen this somewhere before, but can't seem to locate it via the search function OR reading thru 15 pages of "grenade" threads. So, if anybody has details/particulars, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Regards

Rick

Grenade, U.S. practice M.E.-U.of I. 001 (Small).jpg Grenade, U.S. practice M.E.-U.of I. 002 (Small).jpg Grenade, U.S. practice M.E.-U.of I. 003 (Small).jpg

Hello Rick,

FWIW I currently have a few identical examples. I have always guessed that the markings possibly signified: Mechanical Engineering University Of ???.

I do not have any solid information on their history or use.

In " US Infantry Weapons Of The First World War" By Bruce Canfield, a similar example is shown (Minus Markings) and described as a Dummy Training Grenade. The credit for the example shown in the referenced book is to Hayes Otoupalik, not sure if he has any more information?

Stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• MEUI.jpg
    MEUI.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks Frank. Haye's site may have been where I'd seen one of these. Maybe a course project in casting. AND helped the war effort.

Rick

I have a small bit of info somewhere that says they were made at the Mechanical Engineering University of Illinois as a project in casting techniques.
not sure of a date though.
cheers, paul.

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Unk u.s. Practice grenade

Paul has given a accurate response to the Grenade in question. I know this becuase I sold him the one he has posted on his web page.
I sold it to him about 5 years ago and to date, I have never received any regonition for it.

Richie P.S. A month late on adding to this post but what the heck!

I would like everyone on the forum to know that richie did indeed sell me the aforementioned grenade. And he is the greatest guy in the world!:congrats::party::congrats:

Bloody hell,
I must be due untold amounts of regonition???? for the amount of stuff I have sold on e-bay,SA.various militaria fairs and to the trade,not to mention from cabinets at three antique arcades.

F.F.S have we gone back to the infants playground?

Tony

I agree with Tony. I've done my fair share of regoniting but have yet, even once, been regonited.:cry:

Can anyone advise how the reported Origin of these grenades (Mechanical Engineering University of Illinois) was discovered / confirmed?

Stay safe,

Frank