What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-war German air force issue wristwatch

Falcon

This belonged to my Granddad on my dad's side. It sat in a drawer forgotten (with its history unknown) for years until recently. My dad uncovered it during a clearout and I decided that I would research it. I thought it had a military look when I first saw it. My Granddad certainly wasn't in the Luftwaffe as he was English and was too young anyway. However he was stationed in Germany with the RAF in the 1950s, so may have acquired it there. It could also have found its way over here with a British serviceman involved in the 2nd World War or possibly a prisoner of war.

helvetia_watch.JPG

Apprarently these watches were made by various companies to a specification. They were issued to pilots being discreetly trained as civilians before the Luftwaffe was officially formed.

The watch is running and seems to keep good time. I bought a beige Nato strap off ebay so I could wear it.

On the back of the case it is stamped "3190", which is apparently the movement type number. There is also "D33479H" on the back. It has "1756" between the bottom lugs. I wonder if any of these numbers could indicate who it was issued to (if any records survived).

My dad also has a USSR made Strela 3017 Sekonda Chronograph which sat broken in the same drawer for years. He was going to chuck it thinking it was a broken cheap watch. This was also until I researched it and found that it was collectable. It is apprently a re-branded version of a 1950s era Soviet air force issue watch. He had it repaired and is now wearing it again.

Is anyone else here interested in military watches? Researching these two has got me tempted to start collecting them. I should probably resist this as ordnance is bad enough.