What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-WW1 18pdr Shrapnel

Vasco Da Gama

For general interest pictured is a pre-WW1 British 18pdr shrapnel shell with an early aluminium No 80.1 fuse. For comparison I have placed alongside a recovered example from later in the war. The differences are obvious, a smaller driving band and a crimping groove that is not apparent on later projectiles. Some stampings are just legible, Forged Steel (FS) and potentially a 1911 date.

The fuse markings are clear, EOC, VM, 80.1, 133 and 5/06. Interesting that the aluminium No 80 fuses did not appear to find favour and were replaced by brass for most wartime examples.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 54
Aluminium was found to be too elastic and it corrodes.

TimG

"To go back, the time train rings should be loaded with either grain or meal powder under as great a unit pressure as the metal of the time trains will withstand. It is, therefore, evident that the metal of the time trains should be made of as high physical qualities as is commercially practicable. It is customary to make the time train rings of a grade of brass approximating as nearly to the physical properties of Tobin bronze as possible. It is usual then to press in the powder of the time trains under a pressure of from 50,000 to 70,000 pounds per square inch; the nearer the upper limit, the better. The reason for this can be demonstrated by loading a number of fuzes under lower pressure, and then loading more fuzes under higher pressure, and so on, and then testing the fuzes of each group. If the groups be large enough, it will be found that the fuzes having time trains pressed in with the highest pressure give the most uniform results, and vice versa. It is for this reason, among others, that the use of aluminum for time train rings has not met with great or prolonged success."

Last edited:
Vasco,

Your 18pdr proj. is an early MkI, the cart. cases are around also for these & easy to identify by the crimp mark below the cart mouth & marked as MkI. These generally have early dates such as around 1905-08.

Happy hunting to get the right cart.

Regards Ozzi.

The earlier mark shells fitted with the lightweight (aluminium) fuzes were also longer (5/8" I think - not sure - would have to check), than the later shells fitted with the brass fuzes. All to do with the overall weight being 18 pounds. Off-hand I'm not sure when the change occurred, but all the mark changes are listed in the various handbooks.

I saw recently one of these early 18 pdrs with crimp groove fired. I didn't know what to make of it so left it. I guess it's worth
picking up !

I read that the early 18pr carts were blackened, has anyone got or seen one. When did they stop blacking them, were they chemically blackened??
Cheers
Gary

I think you'll find that brass, iron and aluminium were all used for UK fuze bodies throughout WW1 (after the first year or so). At least that's the summary I'd draw from The Official History of the Ministry of Munitions Vol X The Supply of Munitions.

1906 MKl 18 Pr

I managed to obtain the MKl I had seen.

It cleaned up well considering what it might have been like.
I used worn sandpaper for wood so not to scratch the surface and
to leave an aged surface rather than bare metal, fine surface rust over all.
My diagnosis of it is this; The inside is quite rusted so it wasn't recovered
immediately, there is a small drill hole started in the driving band so I think
somebody had thoughts of making it into a lamp but didn't. The surface
is smooth and the markings light so I think it had been polished/buffed
at one time. The brass top ring is of course loose and I can only hope it
was picked up in the same area and time. I waxed it.

The markings are;
Q F 18 Pr
FS
VS & (M is worn away)
1/11/06

This is the only one I have run
across and I have seen lots
of the ww1 examples.

(there is another one in a collection that was
picked up about the moment it landed, the brass
ring didn't blow off but the centre of it did blow out.
I'll ask if I can post a picture of it - it is amazing)

Attachments

• IMG_406.JPG
    IMG_406.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 42
This is what a MKl 18pr should be like ~

What a fired MKl 18 Pr should look like !

It's not mine - :tinysmile_cry_t3:

Apparently the brass ring did not blow off, but the centre of it
blew out leaving everything in fine order.

The other one with No82 fuze for comparison.

Attachments

• MKl 18pdr.jpg
    MKl 18pdr.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 36