What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-WW1 Russian 37mm case

Depotman

Premium Member
I thought I'd seen all the early 37mm 1pr and their variants documented - except this one; where the case is bottle-necked and 139mm long and the base dia is 48mm. Any help much appreciated. Trevor

Attachments

• DSCN7173.jpg
    DSCN7173.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN7174.JPG
    DSCN7174.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN7182.jpg
    DSCN7182.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 87
Got me on this one--

We had better ask for help from a higher power - they know who they be --

How does it compare the the U.S. 1 Pdr. H case, is it several mm longer and is the base the same or does the base match instead the 1891 Winchester Hotchkiss if you have one. I'm kind of thinking a Nordenfelt round, but with the screw in primer it certainly is odd. And it is definately 37mm not 42mm etc. If it's 42mm it is a Nordenfelt.

We had better ask for help from a higher power - they know who they be --

How does it compare the the U.S. 1 Pdr. H case, is it several mm longer and is the base the same or does the base match instead the 1891 Winchester Hotchkiss if you have one. I'm kind of thinking a Nordenfelt round, but with the screw in primer it certainly is odd. And it is definately 37mm not 42mm etc. If it's 42mm it is a Nordenfelt.
I can't remember how it compares to either of these two - I've sold mine, but I'm sure it was different to both. It is 37mm. Trevor

The markings on the case 0.622 & 12 would give a case length of approx 37x190R
Not sure that helps.

The markings on the case 0.622 & 12 would give a case length of approx 37x190R
Not sure that helps.
The case length is 139mm and I don't think it's been cut down as the three crimp marks are the 'correct' length from the mouth when compared to many 1pr pom-pom heads. The mystery goes on!
Trevor

The Base

going by the measurement given is the same as the Hotchkiss 37x120 or 37x100 cases and also the British (V.S.&M.) 1 1/4 Pr and 1 1/2 Pr. cases. What this implies is that it is used in a design similar to a product from these companies as it is a common to all breech size.(or with a barrel change you can upgrade the existing gun) But to ensure a particular supplier the case is a different length, a common trick of the time. What ever used this is not the regular combat types or we would have seen this case more often. I'm thinking possible Navel subcaliber use, or a trial piece. If loaded with a regular 37mm projectile this would have given a superior performance to most everthing except maybe the French 37x202 Tube Cannon round also a subcaliber type originally.