What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preservation of mixed metals??? Inert Incendairy...

Lou

First,my respectful condolences if you were bidding against me at auction today,,,:angel:

But,I'll soon be the proud new owner of the ""U.S./U.K.??"" Incendairy bomblet in the photo.

My question to the members of BOCN, is there anything I can do,should do,to keep this inert incendairy from degrading??

I know that when certain metals come in contact with each other,over a period of time,an elecrical or chemical reaction,or both, can cause one or two of the metals to oxidize,degrade,swell,seize or down right turn to dust. This is my first experience with ownership of this type of inert ordnance,and to be honest with you,Ive not seen one in this kind of condition,and Id like to keep it that way. Im especially concerned about the main body,being made of Magnesium and how best to conserve it. Then making sure what ever conservation technique I use doesnt cause a reaction with the sheet metal fin set or steel/cast iron nose.

Advice would be appreciared,,,,

139.jpg

Lou,
the sub is a US M126. I'd be leery of any coatings or oils, the biggest thing I've found is to clean it well and keep it dry and away from humidity.

As US-subs says, clean & dry is best.
If you can get Silica gel crystals put them inside item or in display cabinet (out of sight).
WD 40 or similar acts as a good prservative as it is absorbed so doesn`t leave it oily. Any threads/moving parts will benefit from a spray as well as it will shift any loose dust/dirt.
As with a weapon, too much oil/grease attracts dirt!!

Hey Lou

Google or Bing galvanic reaction. Lots of info on that and relevant to many pieces of ordnance.

Rick