What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Primer removal tools

Falcon

Here are some primer removal tools I made, they seem to work okay.

The first one fits 0.8" Diameter two hole primers on WW" British 2 Pounders and the like.

2pr_tool_2.jpg

End of tool showing pins:

2pr_tool_end.jpg

2 Pounder primer on tool:

2pr_tool_primer.jpg

This one fits the German 60x64R boat gun case, and, oddly, a 1939 Royal Laboratories 40mm Bofors L/60, with the primer made by BSA)
german_tool.jpg

6064R Primer on tool:
german_tool_primer.jpg

You simply clamp these tightly in a vice and twist the shell by hand, most of the primers I have tried seem to come out okay. They are usually pretty well held in by a combination of corrosion and paste left behind by metal polish.

These could be useful if you get hold of a good case with a knackered primer that needs to be replaced, or a cut down case with a good primer.

Nicely made tools Falcon.

Have you considered making some and selling them to members?, i'm sure there would be a demand for them.

Quatermass

Good idea, but I would not be able to do it for several reasons:

1) I am at college, and I should really be making work instead of primer removal tools.

2) They are made from scrap material I found lying around the workshop, if I started making alot of "personal use" stuff they might not too be happy about me using their material.

3)I have to take measurememnts from the primer to make the tool, which means I would have to have the case in with me.

4) The tools have to be hand filed to fit the primers, so it would be virtually impossible to get a good fit if I did not have the case in with me.

great work falcon,,but yes its best you concentrate on your studies for now.....God thats old people talk

Someone suggested using an oil filter remover to grip the case on a few different rounds I have where the primers will not budge. I will try this, as currently the ones i have got undone have been done by holding the case by hand and twisting.

The two offending cases are a 1910 13 Pounder straight case and a 1983 Swedish 40mm Bofors.

Last edited:
most sockets sets that you buy (or get from the wife) are full off all those sockets that you never will use. Found out that the 23 mm of the King Tony set is just the same size as a C12Na primer. Ground of the socket, and it fits. Easy to get a wrench on, hit it when stucked, and finely a useful task for those strange size sockets.

After having broken a couple of original primer removal tools I made new ones from commercial Chrome-Vanadium wrench sockets. Obviously they are better quality than original ones and last heavier use. You do not necessarily need any machine tools to make these, first pick up a socket with inner and outer diameter as close to required as possible, then you need only a hacksaw and a good file. It's a bit hard first to get thru the thin chrome plating on surface but if you have a disc grinder to break the surface it helps.
Those in picture I made this way with hand tools only. It takes less than a hour each to make.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 61