What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I am looking to positively ID this projectile which I have had for many years. I am thinking Italian, but that may be way off. Can anyone confirm type, period, nationality, fuze that it would take and case to go with it please!

Thanks in advance.

D

S4200015.jpgS4200016.jpgS4200017.jpgS4200019.jpg

Morning D,
i suspect this is one for Fert and GSpragge,
However I'd also guess it was Italian, by the style of the stepped ogive, the driving band and the lettering style.

The dimensions would help, but it looks to be 37 or 47mm given the proportions
image.jpeg
It looks quite alot like the projectile second in from the left, given It's ballistic cap is missing....that picture was posted by GSpragge. I've done a little research on that projectile in the bath this morning, but had to go to work without an answer for you.

hope that helps
rich :)

I might tell it is 75mm round, but exact diameter would be appreciated.

Apologies to all, posted late last night and obviously already half asleep! It is 75mm diameter and 235mm in height.

Thanks

D

it's a 75 mm Krupp shrapnel shell (like the mentioned italian 75 mm). But it is for sure not italian.

Can you show a closeup of the "fuze adapter"?

strange construction... Is this grooved part a single piece? I don't really understand the construction from the pictures.

I've included the one picture again from which you can make out the little stab dent. The projectile is in two pieces which join at that point. The grooved piece is part of the top section.

The grooved piece is part of the top section.

That's what wasn't clear to me. I was wondering if the grooved part could be plugged deeper into the shell but your answer is denying this option. Maybe the grooves were used to fix a protective cap? Also artwork is possible...

I have never seen anything comparable.

Last edited: