What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile identification needed please

earni74

Premium Member
UNKNOWN PROJECTILE NEEDS IDENTIFICATION PLEASE.

PROJECTILE DIAMETER 65mm ABOVE AND BELOW DRIVE BAND

OVERALL LENTH 353mm

TRACER TUBE LENTH 55mm

DRIVE BAND DIAMETER 69mm

STAMPS ON PROJECTILE ARE.... 167 400 32 79

INSERTING A ROD INTO THE TRACER TUBE, THE ROD GOES IN 210mm SO UPTO THE FIRST BLUE BAND, I CAN SEE INSIDE AND I PRESUME IT IS A AP-HE-T, AS FAR AS I CAN SEE, IT HAS NEVER BEEN LOADED
THANKS001.jpg002.jpg

the projectile is about 7Kg in weight and made of steel, with the stamps on the projectile roll pressed and not hand stamped, I am thinking it is an experimental projectile but made by who, yet another mystery.

thanks all

I can see where you are coming from mentioning the Italian 65mm, having looked at my drawings on Italian rounds, I am sure it is not.

cheers

Hello,
italian navy used a 65/64 automatic gun, cannelure for crimping match the italian case. I have no docs about unfortunely.
is possible to unscrew the tracer unit? Is the driving band copper or steel?
best regards

Hello Fert, I have tried unscrewing the tracer, but as yet no success, I will have to take it to a workshop and let them do it, the drive band is some sort of " plastic ", the projectile is in excellent condition and looks like it was made recently, if it didn't have the paint on and no stamps on the projectile, I would say it was made on a CNC lathe recently, but at this moment in time I believe it to be original
THANKS GUYS