What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

projectile plug

I stumbled on this whilst surfing the web. It looks like a shipping plug for a projectile and the advertisement also states it may have been a transport plug for the toffee apple. It is stamped M&P 5-16 and No1. The plug is 2 7/16 inch wide and thread width is 1 7/8 inch and made of brass. I don't know why, but this one just caught my eye. They aren't giving it away but the price is not terribly gaudy. Had to take a picture of my monitor screen as this site will not allow copying the image. One thing that struck me as "odd" was the slotted head. It seems that most British transport plugs have a square drive for removal/installation. Anyone have any ideas on this one. Something that just struck me as COOL....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 448.jpg
    Picture 448.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 45
slotted plugs

Sorry Dano but a no.11 Naval brass is slotted so is the die cast alloy for the Bofors 40mm (cant read the number), and similar for 2pr AA, steel L6A1, and steel no.3. Personally I prefer the older 'square' type. 2pr

square holes

some square recess plugs, various ages, some with markings, two views of the same at slightly different angles.2pr

Attachments

• square plugs1.jpg
    square plugs1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 28
  • square plugs2.jpg
    square plugs2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the info. 2pr. I was just a little curious since this was the first one i'd seen with the slotted head. I don't collect these as such but thought it would make for trench debris, but would like to do a bit more damage for a 20 spot. Always looking for "no mans land sprinkle"! Dano

plug

I appreciate that this is not possible for you Dano, but these are a fairly common find when field walking on the Western Front. I picked up one last year that still had the rubber sealing washer around the top of the thread and was in virtually untouched condition.

Regards
TonyE