What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

proximity fuse

vinnyw

Hello Gentelmen
I was at a show this weekend and saw a proximity fuse for a air droped bomb,when did they start using these and what case would they be used for?The only bombs I have are WW1.Thanks for your expertese. :tinysmile_classes_t

The proximity fuze was developed in WWII. At a minimum, they were used on U.S. and UK bombs.

Thank you for your reply,I new they were invented in WW2 for flak sheels.Wy dose a bomb need one?
Thank you :tinysmile_classes_t

Artillery shells utilize them in the antiaircraft role, and in an antipersonnel role, to detonate the shells above the heads of the troops, to cause more damage. If the shell impacts the ground, some of its energy and shrapnel are wasted to create the crater, and lost in the crater. When detonated above ground, everything travels out with the potential to hit something vital. The same applies for bombs, nothing wasted in a crater.

Thank you for your reply.Works like a nuke then.Man those guys were smart.
My father was a gunner in WW2 on a tanker fighiting the japs.
Thank you again.I should have figured that.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

They are still used by the RAF,the current Mk 960 Mk2 Multi Function Bomb Fuze has four mode,Impact,Air Burst,Delayed & Timed.These can be programmed by us Armourers on loading or by the Navigator in flight.The is also an automatic delay if the weapon is dropped too low,allowing the A/C to escape the blast.

Here are a few of the early US ones. The first is the earliest, don't recall the nomenclature off the top of my head, but it was generally known as the T-bar fuze due to the antennas. The second fuze is marked as loaded in 1948, the third in 1954.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 49
The Japanese Navy used during WW-2 also a kind of proximity fuze in there Type 3 No. 25, Mk 31 Model 1 & Type 3 No. 80, Mk 31 Model 1 aircraft bombs. The photoelectric fuzes in these bombs worked approximately . 7 meters above the target.

I've seen a similar fuse called VT 166
The purpose of these fuses is to destroy radars
It emits a signal reflected by the radar.
When the signal's power is big enough the bomb burst.