What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prussian C/61 9cm projectile (?)

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I acquired this projectile earlier this year from a fellow member. It had an old label attached which noted it as being a 9cm Prussian 1861 model, obviously lead coated and unfired. It also has a hook on the base which I assume was for ease of removal if the projectile was stuck in the gun for some reason. Do the markings shown make the date 1874?

I can't find any contemporary information on this projectile to confirm the exact terminology of the piece so would be grateful if anyone has anything or could point me in the right direction. TIA

Attachments

• 20231105_120433.jpg
    20231105_120433.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231105_120539.jpg
    20231105_120539.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231105_120600.jpg
    20231105_120600.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 43
C/61 models are looking very different. Yours resemble a prussian C/73 model but I doubt it's prussian. There were a lot of other countries which used this system.

Detail pictures of the fuze can be helpful.

It came with an incorrect fuze that didn't fit properly, so I added what I thought was the correct fuze. I'm afraid thats not much help.

The presence of the eye at the bottom of the shell is interesting - probably for discharging from the chamber..
Akon

Maybe a drill shell. But I haven't seen any prussian drill shell of that time. Later models had a hollow base but much different than this one.

The data on the cannon heads, perhaps it is possible to assign or exclude from this what model it is...
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/main.xhtml BArch PH/2/1256

9cm Stahl kanone C/67 ( paper page 239 )
9cm Bronze kanone rohre C/72 (paper page 247)
9cm Stahl kanone C/64 (paper page 224)
9cm E.K .. (paper page 215)
9cm St.K. (paper page 204)
Akon

Akon,

I can't get that document to open. Can you download it and post it in the download section?
Joe

The data on the cannon heads, perhaps it is possible to assign or exclude from this what model it is...
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/main.xhtml BArch PH/2/1256

Akon, to copy a link in Invenio, you must click "Link kopieren" in the right part of the search results page :

Example searching "C/67"

Link in the browser's adress bar : https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/main.xhtml (it's ALWAYS the same link)
Real link via "Link kopieren" : https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/direktlink/d6087b1a-c8e1-4998-9a01-12d1603e8c10/

Image1.jpg

Cheers,

S.

The document is describing acceptance instructions for barrels. Wonder what the can contribute to this thread?

Hi sgdbdr
There is never a single path to the goal...
I would not see relying on an html link as a permanent and reliable solution. Conversely, if you know the archival signatory (PH 2/1256), it is permanently assigned to the document:) Logically, the second procedure is to search for the following...Let me show you clearly.
-The second image is a search result. > after clicking on "Digitalisat anzeigen"
-The third is a preview of what to do to download the document...( File download : all or 1 document)
PS : Then try clicking on ,,Im Kontext anzeigen,,
Akon

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky z 2023-11-10 15-25-21.png
    Snímek obrazovky z 2023-11-10 15-25-21.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Snímek obrazovky z 2023-11-10 15-33-57.png
    Snímek obrazovky z 2023-11-10 15-33-57.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Snímek obrazovky z 2023-11-10 15-35-35.png
    Snímek obrazovky z 2023-11-10 15-35-35.png
    283.1 KB · Views: 9
The document is describing acceptance instructions for barrels. Wonder what the can contribute to this thread?

C/61 to ... C/72 or .. We don't have the dimensions of the object yet, that's true. If the author of the post supplies them, we can exclude some C/ models.

Akon

Hi sgdbdr
There is never a single path to the goal...
I would not see relying on an html link as a permanent and reliable solution. Conversely, if you know the archival signatory (PH 2/1256), it is permanently assigned to the document:) Logically, the second procedure is to search for the following...Let me show you clearly.
-The second image is a search result. > after clicking on "Digitalisat anzeigen"
-The third is a preview of what to do to download the document...( File download : all or 1 document)
PS : Then try clicking on ,,Im Kontext anzeigen,,
Akon
You'll notice that in your first post you wrote the "signatur" "PH/2/1256" while it's in fact "PH 2/1256" ;). It's a minor difference, but searching for "PH/2/1256" brings no results. That said, it does not make me less dumb as it never occured to me that this "signatur" was in fact the reference of the document :mad:. So thanks for that info. I will go to bed smarter.

The projectile dimensions are 87mm x 226mm if that helps. I thought that the 'hook' on the base would be a giveaway, but obviously not! Thanks for all the comments so far.