What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about a 20mm shell

kz11gr

Hello

i have a question :
Do you know this shell ?

Copper or brass body.
Alloy cap.
I suppose there is an armour piercing core inside.....

is it an US ammo ?

thank you for your answers.

Attachments

• 20mmperf.jpg
    20mmperf.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 101
Copper washed ?

From the look of the picture I think what you have may be a "made up" item that has been "copper washed" to enhance its appearance.
The driving band looks slightly out of proportion with the body and the crimping groove at the rear looks exagerated in depth and width.

Are there any markings (stampings into the body) does any of it look like it may be made in sections??
Does it feel dissproportionately heavy for a piece of steel the same size??
Good luck in obttaining an ID on it!

From the look of the picture I think what you have may be a "made up" item that has been "copper washed" to enhance its appearance.
Good luck in obttaining an ID on it!

Hi Chris

i have some additional informations:
somebody has in an old collection a shell like this, but without alloy cap.
Body = copper (not steel copper washed)

Inside, there is a stell or tungsten core, deeply fixed in the copper.
The alloy cap is fixed on the shell with a thread (factory made)

Then i'm sure it is reglementar and old (i presume between years 1930 and 1950).

Very unusual item.

Thanks for the further information, in which case you have a very interesting and unusual projectile !

The older rounds very rarely use Tungtsen as it was a very problematical material to obtain and work with due to its hardness.

Good luck with this !

Thanks for the further information, in which case you have a very interesting and unusual projectile !

The older rounds very rarely use Tungtsen as it was a very problematical material to obtain and work with due to its hardness.

Good luck with this !

Thank you Chris
but it's not mine, only a picture seen on the web .
The core may be of hard steel in place of tungsten.

regards