What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about British case

papyccs

Bonjour

My first post is a question:
is some one have a photo or info about base of case of 11,4 cm K365 (e) it's -I think- BL4.5 inch Gun MkII ?

Thank you

Papy

interesting as the 4.5in BL had no case in British service and Hogg gives 365(e) as the German nomenclature for that gun. Did the Germans re breach and chamber these guns? if so a lot of effort for little gain.

A lot of these guns were lost in France in 1940.

The Germans did not use a obturating pad to seal the breech in their guns that used bagged charges. They used a short shell case to seal the breech.

I suppose if they had captured enough guns it might have made sense to them to modify them.

Bonjour

Thank you , if I understand well, we have only one little little little chance to found german shell for this gun with german marks :tinysmile_angry_t:

Papy

Bonjour

Thank you , if I understand well, we have only one little little little chance to found german shell for this gun with german marks :tinysmile_angry_t:

Papy

Salut Papy

Je pense que a n'existe pas, si je prends en comparaison le 3.7 inch anti aerien ceux que j'ai trouvs sur le terrain avaient le projectile anglais et la douille anglaise.

I agree with glevum . For example, i've seen in the past some 3.7 inch AA complete rounds (relics) , they were all 100% british , shells & cases also british paints.

=================

According to Hoggs book British and American Artillery of WWII the 4.5in BL medium gun was not issued until 1941, so capture in North Africa is more likely. To change from obturating pad system to case and chamber would still mean changes to the firing system and for a small number of guns the likelyhoo of finding a such a case slim unless you can find out where they were used and recaptured.

Is it possible you mean the 11.4cm leFH 361(e), the Q.F. 4.5-in Howitzer Mk II? this gun did have a brass case (114 X 86R)