What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about fuzes 44, 45 and 52

Pascal

Ordnance approved
Hello !

Can someone can tell me what is the difference between the bomb fuzes 44, 45 and 52 ?

Thank you

156___No_52_Mk_I_und_II.jpg

Thank you Joerg.

I can't read the german language, but it's a good clue. I will type it in a translator engine.

Good evening, Joerg

Hum, I'm sorry to ask you again : may you send me the pictures because I can the the numbers in your pages but I can't see the pictures about it.

thank you

Hi Pascal

The Numbers 44, 45 and 52 were not Fuzes, but were Pistols - i.e. they did not contain any exlosive components - they used a separate detonator only added during weapon preparation. The No. 44 was the standard nose pistol for WW2 British bombs of all types, 250 lb and upwards. The No 45 was simialr but was specifically for use in the 20 lb Fragmentation and 40 lb GP bombs. The No 52 was similar to both of the others but had slightly different dimensions and was only used in US AN-M series GP bombs and the AN-M76 Incendiary bomb used by the RAF.
Hope this helps
eodda

Hi eodda

Yes, I made a mistake about difference with fuzes and pistols.

Thank you for your help, this is very useful.