What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question - Battle of The Somme Barrage, heard in London?

khanmak

I was at an event this weekend where it was claimed that the opening barrage of the battle of the Somme could be heard in London. Disregarding Wikipedia type references, is there any credible evidence/references to support this? It seems highly unlikely to me.

Yes, that's the trouble, no proper references. I can understand something like the Messiness mines - I.e a single massive bang (or bangs) but an artillery bombardment is a series of individual not very big bangs. So myth or fact?

Looking into this and at the risk of boring the arse off everybody on the forum, it seems possible for sound to be refracted via the atmosphere.
This article specifically mentions loud explosions.
http://flyquietoak.com/_source/pdf/...efraction of Sound in the Atmosphere_2006.pdf
So, with reference to my original question, it is possible for the sound of any large volume of noise (I.e any prolonged barrage on the Western Front) could have been heard a long distance away! The point being (there is one) that the supposition of the statement that the noise of the Somme barrage
could be heard in London is related to its intensity rather than length and atmospheric conditions. So, possible, apparently heard on Hampstead Heath (un referenced accounts) but really the notability rather atmospherics rather than scale of bombardment.
if anybody is still awake after reading this any credible references still welcome!

Last edited:
My Grandmother who lived in Sittingbourne told me she could hear the guns in France/ Belgium regularly as a very young girl, she thought of her Father out there when she heard them...... Dave

Hi Khanmak,could the noise/rumble of the guns,like thunder be bounced off the clouds,just a thought,,,,,,,
Don,