What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on 18pr shrapnel

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
In my area law enforcement gets calls on shrapnel rounds fairly often. This is typically the range recovered pieces, slapped back together for grandpa's mantle. Live/intact rounds are less often, maybe one in 50. In the past six months calls have picked up on 18pr shrapnel projectiles, I suspect from Canada as we are in a border State. There have been two calls on intact 18pr projectiles in the past couple months, both unfuzed. The normal course of action is to hit it through the base with an oil well perf charge, typically around 19 grams. Low explosive contribution, good results, interesting training piece when you are done. My question is, what is the media used by the Commonwealth countries which is mixed in with the balls? Additionally, on one that was popped yesterday the team reported several balls smaller than the normal shrapnel size falling out from the perf hole on recovery. I have the round but have not yet had a chance to closely examine it. Xray of the forward end of the projectile prior to disposal showed shrapnel that appeared normal.
Photos are from the previous round, disposed of a couple of months ago. Team initially shot it in the wrong location, second shot caused the round to split.

18pr 1.jpg18pr 1a.jpg18pr 3.jpg

The manuals describe the filling as resin powder and I don't believe that it has any energetic properties. Also the balls are described as 0.5" lead-antimony alloy. I have quite a few of them and they appear to be a fairly uniform size, but I imagine they needed to fine-tune the weight at the end of the filling process. So you would expect any smaller balls to be near the top (mouth)?

Last edited:
The only document I have to hand states 'resin' and doesn't expand further than that.

The drawing calls for the shell to be filled with about 345 bullets (41 to the lb). Filled weight of bullets - 8lbs 6oz 11 1/2 drams. The manual states that to regulate weight, a few buckshot may be added.

Operation 29 - Fill in resin and buckshot to weight and insert socket.

TimG

Thanks, buckshot is the likely culprit. I've seen resin filled round, they often look like amber. If this is resin it is some different form that I don't recognize. I lnow some other countries had exdplosive mixed in with the balls, but if memory serves those were French (?) projectiles. I've never heard of the UK or US trying that. Regardless, the nice thing about a perf charge is that if it is energetic it will light it up. I'll try and hit it with a Raman device this weekend and see if it registers as anything.

Last edited:
The resin is over a hundred years old and may have oxidised. Also, it would appear some resins are non-Newtonian liquids and having been subjected to a charge it has shattered giving the milky appearance.

From Wikipedia - normal caveats apply.
[h=3]Plant resin[edit][/h]Main article: Pitch (resin)
Plant resin is a viscoelastic solid polymer. When left in a container, it will flow slowly as a liquid to conform to the contours of its container. If struck with greater force, however, it will shatter as a solid.

TimG

It was quite in use to adjust the weight of the all size shrapnel shells (13Pr, 18 Pr, 60 Pdr, 4,7 in , 6 in....) with smaller balls of different sizes even sometimes pieces in the shape of pancakes. Also i have found lead balls in the base under black powder bag in 60 pounder shell as example...