What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question: painting grenades?

GrahamMk5

As a new member I would like to ask the following question. I assume members have opinions about whether grenades, like my Mills No.5 should be repainted or left as found? If I do want to paint it is there a reference source to show what colours to use and where they go?

Welcome to the BOCN site ! Usually , it's best to leave them as found & just polish them with boot polish or wax to conserve them . However , if you really want to refurbish it's your item so do want you want with it ! The colour markings for Mills grenades can be found on Millsbomber's excellent website . Siegfreid.

Thank you for your advice. I have visited the excellent site you recommended. I tend to agree that the grenade 'looks' better as found. I also could have saved yourself and others time if I had checked previous threads, I see someone else has asked the same question. I was tempted by the idea of 'reproducing' the effect of faint paint traces but like my old motorbikes I like them to keep them as if just rubbed over with an oily rag allowing their age to show. Thanks again.