What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding different models of French 120mm chemical projectiles

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Can someone please explain the difference between the French chemical 120mm A Mle 1914 projectile and the chemical 120mm FA Mle 1915 projectile.

Are they different externally? and if so can someone post a picture of the Mle 1915.

Many thanks

Pete

Hello Pete,

French used bodies of HE shells filled with different agents with specific gaines.
It's a little complicated regarding 120mm HE shells, because differents models were used and for example Mle 1890 has been changed at least three times.
For chemical 120mm we used three models :
-Mle 1890 Acier
-Mle 1914 Acier
-Mle 1915 Fonte Acire
Mle 1890 and Mle 1914 have a right body
Mle 1915 FA has a "streamlined" body.
A cylindrical gaine 40-50mm Mle 1895 (burster) is screwed in place of the ordinary gaine for HE (of each model).-

120mm Mle14 Acier.jpg

120mm Mle 15 FA.jpg

Us-Subs shown a body of a Mle 1915 :
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...rdnance-Photos/page71?highlight=random+museum

120 tox Mle 1915.JPG120 tox Mle 1915 2.JPG

On this website you will find some explanations on the organization of French gas shells : http://www.guerredesgaz.fr/Agression/artillerie/francaise/Munitions/Munitions.htm

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks Minen,

I'm familar with the Mle 1890 and 1914, but the Mle 1915 isn't one ive seen before.
Did they use GP projectiles in this calibre for chemical?

Cheers

Pete

hello pete,
the thread was milled out to 50mm en 4mm depth,this was for a seal with lead.
from the fuze adapter was the sloping side right milled so they could better tensioning with a wrench.
I do not think they did this with model 14,but i can't say it for sure.
grtz joery

Thanks Minen,

I'm familar with the Mle 1890 and 1914, but the Mle 1915 isn't one ive seen before.
Did they use GP projectiles in this calibre for chemical?

Cheers

Pete

No GP, only one driving band but they used another model too (only HE) called Mle 1915-B Acier (Steel, same shape, one driving band).

Regards

120mm HE.jpg

MINENAZ,

Im also looking for cutaway examples showing the different burster lengths in the monobloc 75mm 1915 GN or FN, if you have such a thing?

Cheers

Pete

MINENAZ,

Im also looking for cutaway examples showing the different burster lengths in the monobloc 75mm 1915 GN or FN, if you have such a thing?

Cheers

Pete

Sorry Pete, nothing, only well known diagrams.
Maybe someone else.