What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions about a US M47 incendiary

DaSoLaCo

I have a few questions on a bomb shell I own and this forum seems to be the place for answers.

I purchased this U.S. 100 lb incendiary bomb casing about 25 years ago from a WWII veteran. I have no reason to doubt its authenticity, but I am wondering if it is possible to determine if a bomb casing is genuine or not?

It makes quite the conversation piece in my entryway, so I am not really interested in selling it, but I am curious as to its value. There does not appear to be a large market for an item such as this (or at least not one an internet search revealed), any idea as to its value?

Thanks for your input (pictures attached)

Attachments

• CIMG3382.jpg
    CIMG3382.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG3381.jpg
    CIMG3381.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 46
Hello,

What you have is an ultra-common MK-15 MOD 4 practice bomb that someone has painted up as a AN-M47, and placed a home-made fuze atop.

Do a search for " practice bomb " on Ebay, and you will see how much they go for.

Being from my perspective, the collector's value is destroyed; I would not pay much for it.

Several years ago I purchased an untouched example from here: http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2124&osCsid=pkn1aqc2iahdq66v79pdcfmft2 for $129.00; before the price went up to what it is today.

I am sure someone will chime in with pictures and details of the AN-M47, which looks alot different.

The good news is, that for what it is worth; the paint job is not half bad.

As for the value, I constantly see silly folks purchasing items like this for hundreds of dollars over the fair market value; especially on Ebay.

As I have a MK-15 in my collection; if for some strange reason I need another MK-15 and wanted to restore something so common, I would pass on any price over $60.00. :-( *But that is just me.

Here are some pictures of the genuine article:

M47A3.jpg
M47A2.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I must admit it is a relief. It usually sits in the foyer and the children, in just being children, are not always the most gentle with it. It has taken a fair amount of abuse over the years and it always worried me that they were damaging something of historical value. The WWII memorabilia from my grandfathers' is safely out of reach, but I could never resist putting the "bomb" in the place it would get the most attention. Fortunately, it has been remarkably durable.

As for price, the $50 odd dollars I paid for it 25 years ago has been more than worth it in the conversations and stories it has generated.

Thanks again.