What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about the last British 51mm mortar bombs

Tony Williams

I'm looking for some information about the final series of 51mm mortar bombs made by Radway Green - in the 1990s I believe. I have data sheets (with very limited information) and a photo which seem to be of the most recent ones. They show that the HE was designated L14A1, the Smoke L15A1 and the Illum L16A1.

Before that, I have records for the L1 HE, L2 Smoke and L3 Illum. Did the designations jump straight from L1-3 to L14-16, or were there other marks in between? Does anyone know what changed between the L1-3 and L14-16?

The HE L14A1 appears to use a different fuze from the L127 used in the HE L1 - anyone know what it was?

Thanks for any help.

I don' know about the L numbers but the HE L14A1 uses the US designt M 935 PD fuze.

Just had a quick run down the current mil classifications listings and have come up with -
illum L3a2
smk L2( no suffix given)
he L1 fuzed L98
he L12a1 fuzed L127a1 a2 and a3
illum para L16a1
he L14a1 - no fuze listed - sorry
smk scr L15a1