What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions on the No.119 fuze.

Stuka

Over the last days I've been making some cutaways of No.119 fuzes.
After having a close look at what I made and the fuzes that I still have to cut, some questions arose to me.

Question No.1: How was the detent fitted in this fuze? I've tried lots of times to get it fitted in complete fuzes, but to no avail... How did the factories manage to get it in its place?
1193.jpg

Question No.2: I have several zamac No.119 fuzes. Some of them have a small, wider, band at the bottom of the tapered part and some are lacking this band.
What was the function of this band? Someone must have thought about this while designing the mold for the zamac fuzes? I only seem to find it in the zamac ones, so far no brass fuzes with this feature.
1192.jpg 1192.jpg

I believe the ring is the remnants of a workholding provision, material that a chuck or kindred can firmly grip whilst the threads on the base are machined. Once threaded, the ring is turned off and down to size.

In the case of your first example, it appears that the ring has been totally turned off, leaving a flush surface. In the case of the second, there is the last vestiges of the ring. I have compared the maximium body diameter of a excellent condition No. 119 against that of a somewhat less than pristine 119 made of Mazak (as it is/was known in the UK) which has traces of a ring and there is only 0.007" difference, the brass example being the larger.

The position of the ring is where the casting is at its greatest diameter and whilst above it, it slowly tapers to the nose. Conversley below it, there is a very abrupt reduction in diameter. The area of the ring, in certain conditions may well have been subject to substantial shrinkange.

The attached is a pressed blank for a No. 119 fuze showing the ring to facilitate work holding.

TimG
IMG_1428.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the ring is the remnants of a workholding provision, material that a chuck or kindred can firmly grip whilst the threads on the base are machined. Once threaded, the ring is turned off and down to size.

I think the following pictures are showing what you described. The machine is a Wickman multi spindle automatic lathe for mass production.

Attachments

• Wickman auto tooling, Body119-1.jpg
    Wickman auto tooling, Body119-1.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Wickman auto tooling, Body119-2.jpg
    Wickman auto tooling, Body119-2.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Wickman auto tooling, Body119-1a.jpg
    Wickman auto tooling, Body119-1a.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Wickman auto tooling, Body119-2a.jpg
    Wickman auto tooling, Body119-2a.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
WDC - Wolverhampton Die Casting, Graisley Hill Works, Penn Road, Wolverhampton. They made the body casting, which was then machined by another company such as CCo. - Cobden Chadwick Co., Century Works, Honduras Street, Oldham.

TimG