What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quiz

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Here is a little quiz for you. No prizes, only kudos for getting it right. No answer from you Falcon, as you know what it is!

The only clue is that it is British military (would I post anything else?) and the .55 Boys is for comparison.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• quiz.jpg
    quiz.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 69
Damn! I shall have to think of a harder one! Well done.

It was of course designed primarily as an aircraft gun by Vickers and is the predecessor of the .50 Vickers that came into service in the 1920s.

Regards
Tonye

It took me a while Tony

I've got a .50 vickers and a Boys on the shelf side by side.

The pair looked so similar to your picture that I thought it must be closely related to the Vickers since yours has a belt but is otherwise the same

The .600/.500 is listed in de Hek vol 3 as 12.7 x 81B

600/500

As you can see, the shoulder is slightly different to the Vickers. That round is actually the 600/500A, the unbelted one being the 600/500 (which I need to get (a) if I could ever find one and (b) when I have re-grown an arm and a leg!)

This is a drawing of the gun on an airship mounting from an RNAS manual.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 5vickb&w small.jpg
    5vickb&w small.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31