What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raising the Goodwin Sands Dornier 17

I can remember reading about how the RAF or whoever was custodian at the time, scrapped a Dornier 17 sometime around 1965,I bet they wish they had this priceless artifact now,
Don,

I can remember reading about how the RAF or whoever was custodian at the time, scrapped a Dornier 17 sometime around 1965,I bet they wish they had this priceless artifact now,
Don,

I can top that one Don, the MOD shut Lodge hill camp ( DEODS) and cut up and scrapped every thing, the Royal Engineers sent me a email asking if i would sell them some of my bombs so thy could use them for exercises,,,,, LOL,,,,,,, Dave

I think they hyped the word "intact" a bit much from the looks of it. Maybe to help raise the money. They have a major restoration job on their hands with much "after market" material to make it return to its former glory. Years from now it'll look ok.

Looking at the photos I think its amazing that they have actually managed to recover this one in any sort of condition. Reading the article the original plan of constructing a frame around the aircraft was abandoned.....it appears to me that the straps was the final option, and a very risky one. Looks like damage was done during the lifting process, the end of the wings became detatched and obviously the area at the back of the bomb bay looks a very weak spot. Overall though, no matter the condition its great to see so much effort going into salvaging this aircraft and it shows the level of interest in the preservation of such artefacts. Considering it has laid for 70 years at the bottom of the sea its amazing that it is in any way 'intact'!!
Will be very interesting to follow the progress on this one over the coming months/years and see just what it looks like after preservation has been carried out.

regards Kev