What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAW - Rifleman's Assault Weapon

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Since I'm on a tear photographing and x-raying a bunch of stuff for some presentations and articles I've been asked to write, I thought I'd toss a few items up here and there for your enjoyment.

This one is unusual as it only made a short appearance in the US and there isn't much documentation on it.

Manufactured by Brunswick it was called the HESH-RAW and was being evaluated by the Marine Corps. It was never fielded and from what I have seen and been told, there are only a few of these around.

rawnetsizexg4.jpg

The project was from the mid-1980's.

Here is the x-ray:

rawkr5.jpg

You can see the piezioelectric fuze at the apex of the cone.

And here is the launcher that fits on the barrel of the M16.

rawlauncherit0.jpg

Last edited:
This info extract is from "Ammunition Small arms ,grenades,and projected munitions" by Ian V Hogg
weight of projectile and launcher 8.5lb
payload of projectile warhead 2.51lb
length of projectile 12in(305mm)
diameter of projectile 5.5in(140mm)
effective range 7.8in ???? (200m) "this doesnt make sense to me"
maximum range 2190 yards (2000 mtrs)
Max velocity 597ft/sec (173m/sec)

A number of alternative warheads have been developed for RAW.
The standard warhead is a squash head (HESH) filling of 2.2lb of high explosive initiated by an impact fuze;this will blow a 14in diameter hole in an eight inch thick reinforced concrete wall.
The RAT (RAW Anti Tank) warhead is a shaped charge with an optical proximity fuze which will detonate the charge at the correct distance from the armour and will defeat up to 18in of armour plate
The "flying claymore" warhead carries 1000s of tungsten pellets and blasts them out in a destructive swath,this warhead can be fired to over 2000yards range
Other warheads which have been tested and proved include incendiary and smoke types

I remember seeing this slung underneath an M16A2 when it was being field trialed back in 1983. There was a large page advert for it in Jane's Monthly catalogue. I recall that it was said to be used for punching holes in masonry (walls etc.) when fighting house to house.