What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasonably rare Aussi Contribution

AB_BSM

Has anyone out there clapped eyes on one of these grenades before? Some details to be provided in the next round!....regards....Rod

Attachments

• AussiGem.jpg
    AussiGem.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 86
Rare and desireable stun genade for sheep?
sorry just trying to pull the wool over your eyes...:xd:

Interesting looking item indeed,Local production stop gap item?

MG34NZ

Aussie WWI jan-tin bomb

Very nice indeed. I didn't think any of the jam tins survived. Difficult to see, but is that an actual jam-tin? any additional story to go with this one?? I want one...Dano

Last edited:
Welshberry grenade is correct, what a wonderful find, congratulations!! I expect the only other ones about are in the Australian War Memorial.

Well picked by our knowledgeable members. Appreciate the "sheep" humour but we usually relate same to our friends to the East. Yes it is a nice item. Paul please provide more info re the WW1 vintage if you have same. Not a trick question as I do not have accurate details however I must admit I was leaning towards the VDC (Home Guard) and WW2. To answer the other questions I will spend some time with the magnifying glass on the label which is not in good condition. "WELSHBERRY HAND GRENADE" is printed across the top and "ADVANCE AUSTRALIA" is printed across the bottom. In the meantime here are a couple of more pics. Regards Rod

Attachments

• Welshberry.jpg
    Welshberry.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Welshberry2.jpg
    Welshberry2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 50
Heres what i could find on the gren.
It was an official jam tin bomb made for the troops in galipolli.
It had an inner and outer container with the gap in between filled with small pieces of scrap iron for fragmentation. the fuze was simple. Remove the safety cap and strike the percussion cap on something hard to ignite the fuze.
The label on the outside should say
WELSHBERRY GRENADE
INSTRUCTIONS:
KEEP THE SAFETY CLIP WHICH PROTECTS THE PERCUSSION CAP ON THE FUZE PLUG UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO THROW THE GRENADE.
TO FIRE, HOLD THE GRENADE IN THE THROWING HAND. GIVE THE PERCUSSION CAP A SHARP BLOW AGAINST A HARD SURFACE AND THROW AT ONCE. THE GRENADE WILL EXPLODE BETWEEN 4.5 AND 5 SECONDS AFTER THE PERCUSSION CAP IS STRUCK.
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA.
Hope this helps.
Paul.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

The photos in post 7 almost make it look like it has a fragmentation sleeve over the tin. Am I right?

Great find Rod.

John

Back again with 2 more pics of the Welshberry disassembled. Could not find a date of manufacture and basically what Paul has said is on the label sums it up. Paul do you have anything further re background material?
The centre cylinder is sheet metal similar to the outer can. It is lined with a thin cardboard cylinder. The pics are self explanatory I should think. Rod

Attachments

• Welshberry.jpg
    Welshberry.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Welshberry2.jpg
    Welshberry2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 29